flashing check engine light

moneymike6991

Jul 31, 2010
I have a 2011 mustang gt with a c&l cold air and a Bama 93 octane race tune, today I was showing my friend the car and I floored it, when I hit around 75-80 mph the check engine light started flashing. A few seconds after I slowed down the flashing light went off and now whenever I hit that speed the light flashes again and then goes off. Everything sounds normal and looks normal, what could that mean.

• Sponsors (?)

Flashing check engine light indicates misfire detected, I would not drive it at thgat speed with a misfire - you will damage the engine, were you running 93 octane as per the tune ?

I would remove the tune, leave the CAI and try again, if it's ok then you know it's the tune.
There are many reasons why engine load, emissions etc would cause it to come on.
All I can tell you flashing CEL is real bad, unless you want to buy a new enegine real soon avoid it until you know what the issue is.

The light went solid on the way to work. My Tuner read a random misfire. I'm currently removing the tune to see if it is the problem. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for your help

Ok the tune is off and so is the light. I'm assuming that its off because I reset the computer. I took it for a small test drive. I could only reach around 40-50 in the area I'm in but no light flashed or came on.

I would remove the tune, leave the CAI and try again, if it's ok then you know it's the tune.
There are many reasons why engine load, emissions etc would cause it to come on.
All I can tell you flashing CEL is real bad, unless you want to buy a new enegine real soon avoid it until you know what the issue is.

Unless it's a CAI that doesn't require a tune, I would not drive with a CAI and no tune. It would car cause the car to run way too lean and possible go into fail safe mode.

Unless it's a CAI that doesn't require a tune, I would not drive with a CAI and no tune. It would car cause the car to run way too lean and possible go into fail safe mode.

Well I had to try anyways to see if it was the tune, found out it wasn't. I get the flashing light again but instead of at 75-80 mph its around 85-100 mph now but the light won't stay solid so I can't read the code. The engine seems fine though when it's flashing, like I don't feel a loss of power. The only thing that sounds different sometimes is that at high rpms it seems louder like its sucking more air in, so for some reason i thought maybe a vacuum leak. I'm not sure if a flashing light could mean running lean though. I may put the tune back on to see if that works out, if not i don't know what the hell I'm going to do. I might try to find out what cylinder is misfiring with a test light but if I can't I guess I'm going to have to return it to stock and go to the dealership.

Yea I'm gonna take it off next time I have free time. I asked a lot of mechanics I know and they don't think its a misfire. I don't think the tune has anything to do with it anymore. I'm just going to have to go to the dealership ASAP. Thanks for your help

Any updates or resolution to your issue, experiencing similar on an 05 GT. Changed plugs and coil packs due to mis fire errors took for test drive and received the flashing check engine and louder air sucking sound upon acceleration.