Foot Brake Woes Help!!!

I have been trying to find the correct definition of foot brake on the startin line. I have a 96 Thunderbird with a 96 4.6 Mustang GT motor,with a 3 speed c4 trans 2500 stall converter with 3.73 gears outback. Cold air kit,x-pipe true duals. Does this mean i can bring up the rpms like you would powerbrake,without pushing forward or start spinning and let it loose when the stoplight turns green also should i manual shift it starting out in low. Thanks Dan

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Mash foot brake to the floor. Give some gas to bring up the RPM. Usually on the final yellow, I will release the foot brake, and then as soon as the car starts to roll, feed in the gas to WOT smoothly to not break the tires loose. Takes some practice, but that's my basic drag strip launch technique with any automatic car

Why on earth would someone take out a 4r70w and put in a c4 on a heavy car like that? I'd imagine the check engine light gets old, not to mention the abysmal gas mileage. A well built 4r70w should hold up at least as well as a c4.

Foot braking sometimes helps, but some people prefer launching from near idle to flash the TC. Conditions of the track, tires and power will all affect what the car likes at launch. Experiment a little. Check your 60 foot times. Have a friend watch a launch to see if you're spinning off the line. Bone stock that will 60' in the 2.3ish range, maybe less with good tires and gears.