Ford's 400HP 5.0 (Coyote) V8 spied !

• Sponsors (?)

The reason why Ford makes a lot of dumb a$$ decisions is because the bean counters (Accounting and Finance majors) literally run the show. They don't understand value, performance, engineering, quality, or the customer. They look at the bottom line and cost cutting. Look at how far this has gotten them!

I have a question. Is the 'new' 5.0L engine the same one that Saleen used in the P. Jones
edition Mustang in 2007? If it is, the we should know how much the Mustang will weigh with this engine.

No, this Coyote is a different engine family altogether (4V, DOHC, Modular Gen 2). The 5.0 used in the PJ Saleen was based on the current Modular 4.6L 3V V8.

The reason why Ford makes a lot of dumb a$$ decisions is because the bean counters (Accounting and Finance majors) literally run the show. They don't understand value, performance, engineering, quality, or the customer. They look at the bottom line and cost cutting. Look at how far this has gotten them!

Funny you mention this, I'm currently going to school to become a mechanical engineer and my best friend and girl friend are both going to school for accounting, i'm sure we'll strike up some interesting conversation in two years or so when we hit the job market, that is if there are any jobs left to be found.

From what I've been able to find out , the new 5.0 DOHC V8 is not a MOD based engine. Most importantly, the bore spacing has been increased. It was the MOD's bore spacing that kept its cubes (and therefore N/A HP) somewhat limited in spite of its physical size and weight. The 5.0 "CAMMER" is an expensive race piece and is not related to the new 5.0 Mustang V8. Having watched the development of the MOD engine way back when, it was called a "modular" engine in that it could be made in various configurations/displacements by simply adding extra cylinders. Initially, it was to have 6, 8, and 10 cylinder versions; but the V6 was never developed. Interestingly, Ford has their hands in several new V8 projects: The Ford 500 NHRA funny car engine, the new FR9 NASCAR race engine, the new 5.0 DOHC V8, and the new 6.2 SOHC V8 going into the Raptor truck. IMO, all of these engine projects are filling a long awaited "wish list" for Ford fans.

From what I've been able to find out , the new 5.0 DOHC V8 is not a MOD based engine. Most importantly, the bore spacing has been increased. It was the MOD's bore spacing that kept its cubes (and therefore N/A HP) somewhat limited in spite of its physical size and weight. The 5.0 "CAMMER" is an expensive race piece and is not related to the new 5.0 Mustang V8. Having watched the development of the MOD engine way back when, it was called a "modular" engine in that it could be made in various configurations/displacements by simply adding extra cylinders. Initially, it was to have 6, 8, and 10 cylinder versions; but the V6 was never developed. Interestingly, Ford has their hands in several new V8 projects: The Ford 500 NHRA funny car engine, the new FR9 NASCAR race engine, the new 5.0 DOHC V8, and the new 6.2 SOHC V8 going into the Raptor truck. IMO, all of these engine projects are filling a long awaited "wish list" for Ford fans.

So if the new 5.0 DOHC V8, is not a MOD based engine, then exactly what kind of engine design will it become ? Other than an OHV version, what else could it possibly be...Unless it's a DOHC version of the 5.0 (302) engine :shrug:

And if they hadn't run the show Ford would be where GM is.

Greg

guess what? the bean counters are the only reason ford isn't at the capitol begging for a handout right now.

conservative progression is ford's strategy while chevy and dodge have been measuring their cocks for the last 30 years. cool, chevy has fifteen versions of the same car and a corvette that is pretty stellar... and a huuuuuuuuuuge hole in their pocket.

you boys need to stop whining and thanking God that ford knows how to make a car that sells.

All the info points to a NEW engine family...not MOD and not 5.0 Windsor OHV. With larger bore centers than the MOD, it could easily grow beyond 5.0. I'm sure they incorporated lessons learned through the years of MOD development; and came up with more power in a smaller, lighter package.

All the info points to a NEW engine family...not MOD and not 5.0 Windsor OHV. With larger bore centers than the MOD, it could easily grow beyond 5.0. I'm sure they incorporated lessons learned through the years of MOD development; and came up with more power in a smaller, lighter package.

It's a totally new engine, but the Modular was called modular because of the plant technology where they can make different configurations by switching out the tooling.

guess what? the bean counters are the only reason ford isn't at the capitol begging for a handout right now.

conservative progression is ford's strategy while chevy and dodge have been measuring their cocks for the last 30 years. cool, chevy has fifteen versions of the same car and a corvette that is pretty stellar... and a huuuuuuuuuuge hole in their pocket.

you boys need to stop whining and thanking God that ford knows how to make a car that sells.

No, the reason Ford didn't ask for money is because Mulally hedged his risks in 2006 and started securing funds early on from banks when they were lending it like crazy. He mortgaged assets, plants, etc... and it gave him an extra year of breathing room compared to GM and Chrysler. However the ROOT CAUSE of the Big 3's problem is that they let bean counters run the show for too long. The Big 3 will happily decontent a small bolt to shave a penny off a car without realizing the effect of this.

I have spoken to many former Big 3 employees that have talked about regular meetings to discuss cost cutting. The bean counters are running the show but they fail to see the long-term strategy: customer and product. Without focusing on either element, your company can cut costs until the cows home but you're not going to survive on the market.