Fox Body Hatch Trunk Latch Unicorn

So a buddy of mine brought his 82 GL Hatchback to me for some work. I noticed that the hatch was being held shut with some mechanics wire. I decided to be a good friend and source a hatch latch for his car. WHY THE HELL is this part such a unicorn!? The only online retailer that I found that reproduces the part was laurelmountainmustang.com. This seems like it should be such a common part and furthermore it seems that retailers like latemodelrestoration, or CJ Pony Parts should carry this, but they don't!

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.co...ssembly-lh-1?gclid=CPDklfXY1MECFaE-MgodQnoAXg

A quick search for the part yielded a mere dozen results on ebay with sellers wanting anywhere from $60 to $120 for the latch! Thankfully, a local salvage yard had an 88 Hatch come in that was T-Boned. To my surprise the latch was still on the car and they only charged me 12 bucks for it! This was even an electric solenoid unit!

Just thought I would vent my frustration to a forum of Mustang owners that I am sure can relate and provide a bit of direction to any of those searching for this mythical creature!

upload_2014-10-30_10-47-28.png

• Sponsors (?)

On a v8 car there is a brass fitting at the rear of the car that converts the brake's hard lines to the soft lines. No one makes it. I found a Ford dealership in Illinois that had it néw old stock......for $120!

I got one at the junkyard for $5.

Joe

I'm putting together a car with my son. Honestly, it shouldn't have been saved, but he loves it. The hood latch assembly was totally covered in rust and I bought some evaporust to soak it in.. after 8 hours it looks like a brand new part! It even functioned like new. Completely unbelievable! don't be afraid to use junkyard parts, because that stuff makes them look brand new again. Completely worth the 20 dollars a gallon and it can be used dozens of times before it loses it's potency.

Being handicapped, i want to install a power trunk latch on my 1991 GT hatchback. I have the non power stock latch on the car now. They sell for about $60 on ebay used. Has any body made the conversion and how difficult is it.
Thank you

I'm putting together a car with my son. Honestly, it shouldn't have been saved, but he loves it. The hood latch assembly was totally covered in rust and I bought some evaporust to soak it in.. after 8 hours it looks like a brand new part! It even functioned like new. Completely unbelievable! don't be afraid to use junkyard parts, because that stuff makes them look brand new again. Completely worth the 20 dollars a gallon and it can be used dozens of times before it loses it's potency.

I am going to try this because my hatch latch sticks open and I was struggling to find a new one like the OP!

Being handicapped, i want to install a power trunk latch on my 1991 GT hatchback. I have the non power stock latch on the car now. They sell for about $60 on ebay used. Has any body made the conversion and how difficult is it.
Thank you

Ive never done it, but I imagine you would have to run wiring from a button all the way back to the latch. I doubt the factory harness just has it included and not used. Probably easier to open it with your key than route the wiring through the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, looked through my magic book and found that the button in the glove box for the trunk is in a harness, so I would guess that it would be part of a 'convenience group' that would give you several power options together, like power windows and door locks, I haven't been out to the exxon valdez to see the harness in the back, although it is a hb and your talking about a trunk I'm guessing you have a coupe, right?
Look at your harness that runs accross the top of glove box frame, look for an unused two wire plug. There should also be a two wire plug at the latch in the back, if you don't have those wires your on your own. A option would be to look for an aftermarket trunk release kit. If need more help let us know and I will do some more research for ya.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your handicap? I'm all for making you 'mustang life' easier.

Sorry i'm late on the reply.Thank you for the responses.I suffered third degree burns on the top of my hands through the epidermis, dermas, and tissue The surgeons were able to tie some blood vessels together and rebuild my tendons. I can close my fingers and thumb enough to grab a steering wheel (Ford steering wheel cover helps ) and drive my beloved fox body. I am just not worth a damn when i have to use the tips off my fingers like holding a key.The car will be in the Geek shop at Best Buys next week to install the remote door locks and alarm (Viper ). I will get his opinion on the latch. Being 75 now and on my 12th Mustang, this will probably be my last, but the looks i get from people young and old about my fox keeps me going. They are going up in value according to the auction dealers so i will hold unto this one.
Thanks again

Sorry i'm late on the reply.Thank you for the responses.I suffered third degree burns on the top of my hands through the epidermis, dermas, and tissue The surgeons were able to tie some blood vessels together and rebuild my tendons. I can close my fingers and thumb enough to grab a steering wheel (Ford steering wheel cover helps ) and drive my beloved fox body. I am just not worth a damn when i have to use the tips off my fingers like holding a key.The car will be in the Geek shop at Best Buys next week to install the remote door locks and alarm (Viper ). I will get his opinion on the latch. Being 75 now and on my 12th Mustang, this will probably be my last, but the looks i get from people young and old about my fox keeps me going. They are going up in value according to the auction dealers so i will hold unto this one.
Thanks again

Sorry about your hands. I wish you a speedy and full recovery