Paint and Body Fox Body Painting 101

I would definitely be interested. I had some beginners experience 25 years ago,but have forgotten anything i have learned.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Sorry brother, I get lots of questions. What was it you are interested in fixing?

Edit: frame rails? If so, look at Terry's thread to get an idea of the fram rail area. The paste here should be to the frame rail area of his build. He wasn't using LMR stuff (before their time). But it'll give you an idea that it's more than just a rail. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/started-the-84-t-top-coupe.772468/page-5

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Dave, I remember reading Boosted's thread on his son's Mustang, he mentioned you, and that you had a thread with some tips and how to's on paint, but I couldn't find it. I saw it Friday night but just got finished reading through it. First off, thanks to you for being so gracious, to share your experience, and offering help to others is outstanding. I painted a tractor several years ago that my Dad and I restored. I didn't understand all the lingo associated with the paint and body profession, that alone almost scared me off. With the Internet in hand, I began reading and asking questions and finally found the courage to try. It turned out pretty decent, considering my knowledge, skill, tools, and environment. I made mistakes and I've learned that I would do some things differently for sure, but the satisfaction of having done it myself was so rewarding. I haven't painted anything since, but my son is about to turn 16, and we have been doing some resto work to his 92 SSP Mustang. I'm having trouble finding my confidence to paint his car, it's black, I have a shop, but no paint booth, I don't want to disappoint him with a bad result and so on. I have decided to at least paint the jambs and trunk drip rail and the underside of the trunk lid. I've never sprayed BC/CC, so this is my first attempt and if I can make it look nice enough to suit me, I may consider giving it a try. I've got some stuff laying around I can practice on, so we'll see how it goes. I may call on you for help or advice, so just wanted to say thanks ahead of time. :flag:

Bossed

Reactions: 1 user
Not really a big deal. It'll take more work removing the engine than cutting out the rot and fixing it. Just remember the inner supports for the frame where the k-member bolts up to. @Trbofox did a real nice job on his notch with good pictures. Of course, he fixed a LOT more rot than just his frame rails in his build thread.

Yeah, mine aren't anywhere near what I've sen posted on this site. More or less a tiny bubble or two and some surface rust.

I've been debating stripping the entire car down and doing a full color change on it. I've wanted a Vibrant Red LX with black interior since forever. Figure I wait til after the kiddos are done with day care, and maybe just do a full resto-mod

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dave, I remember reading Boosted's thread on his son's Mustang, he mentioned you, and that you had a thread with some tips and how to's on paint, but I couldn't find it. I saw it Friday night but just got finished reading through it. First off, thanks to you for being so gracious, to share your experience, and offering help to others is outstanding. I painted a tractor several years ago that my Dad and I restored. I didn't understand all the lingo associated with the paint and body profession, that alone almost scared me off. With the Internet in hand, I began reading and asking questions and finally found the courage to try. It turned out pretty decent, considering my knowledge, skill, tools, and environment. I made mistakes and I've learned that I would do some things differently for sure, but the satisfaction of having done it myself was so rewarding. I haven't painted anything since, but my son is about to turn 16, and we have been doing some resto work to his 92 SSP Mustang. I'm having trouble finding my confidence to paint his car, it's black, I have a shop, but no paint booth, I don't want to disappoint him with a bad result and so on. I have decided to at least paint the jambs and trunk drip rail and the underside of the trunk lid. I've never sprayed BC/CC, so this is my first attempt and if I can make it look nice enough to suit me, I may consider giving it a try. I've got some stuff laying around I can practice on, so we'll see how it goes. I may call on you for help or advice, so just wanted to say thanks ahead of time. :flag:

Bossed
No problem man, call me anytime, I'll pm my number to you when you're ready. It's so much easier to explain things on the phone.

bc/cc isn't a big deal at all

Prep work will be the key for you. Black shows everything. Pick just one panel, and start the prep work there. Work on it till you're satisfied and go to the next.

Starting with the jambs isn't a bad idea either. I'll talk you through some of the things you'll want to do to get a better result.

Let me know....

Yeah, mine aren't anywhere near what I've sen posted on this site. More or less a tiny bubble or two and some surface rust.

I've been debating stripping the entire car down and doing a full color change on it. I've wanted a Vibrant Red LX with black interior since forever. Figure I wait til after the kiddos are done with day care, and maybe just do a full resto-mod

Honestly Mike, if I were you, I'd plan on the vehicle to be down for a year if you're going to do a color change.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I love this stuff. Just have an idea of what each thing you'll need to do with each panel and area. You know how it is, you'll start doing one thing like scrubbing the engine bay down for paint, and the next thing you know you're waiting at the door for Scott Rod fab parts to come in.

No problem man, call me anytime, I'll pm my number to you when you're ready. It's so much easier to explain things on the phone.

bc/cc isn't a big deal at all

Prep work will be the key for you. Black shows everything. Pick just one panel, and start the prep work there. Work on it till you're satisfied and go to the next.

Starting with the jambs isn't a bad idea either. I'll talk you through some of the things you'll want to do to get a better result.

Let me know....

I appreciate it Dave. One question I have about painting the jambs is I know it's a small confined area. I'd considered using a cheap detail gun, but, I wasn't sure that gun would spray primer it's only got a 1.0 tip. My other gun is an Eastwood Concours HVLP gun. Is there a trick to using the big gun when you don't need much paint. What say you?

I appreciate it Dave. One question I have about painting the jambs is I know it's a small confined area. I'd considered using a cheap detail gun, but, I wasn't sure that gun would spray primer it's only got a 1.0 tip. My other gun is an Eastwood Concours HVLP gun. Is there a trick to using the big gun when you don't need much paint. What say you?
A 1.0 tip is a fairly big tip on a mini-gun. I have two Sata mini-jets, they have a 1.0 & .8 tips.

I use the mini-jet with the 1.0 tip all of the time for primering small areas, shoot, I even brought it home to primer my engine bay after smoothing it all out. They work wonderfully with a 1.0 tip.
image.jpeg

I wouldn't try to do a much bigger area than that though. It was in the low seventies when I primered it.

I would suggest using your mini-gun for the jambs and save your normal gun for when you spray the outside.

Honestly Mike, if I were you, I'd plan on the vehicle to be down for a year if you're going to do a color change.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I love this stuff. Just have an idea of what each thing you'll need to do with each panel and area. You know how it is, you'll start doing one thing like scrubbing the engine bay down for paint, and the next thing you know you're waiting at the door for Scott Rod fab parts to come in.

Oh I don't doubt it would be a year+ project to do. Maybe wait til the kiddos are a bit older, and tackle it when they show interest and can help. At that point the car will be what? 35+ years old? Perfect timing to strip everything out and go over everything the way I want it.

Only thing in my mind is staying original black or vibrant red like I've always wanted. I've got a few years to decide

Oh I don't doubt it would be a year+ project to do. Maybe wait til the kiddos are a bit older, and tackle it when they show interest and can help. At that point the car will be what? 35+ years old? Perfect timing to strip everything out and go over everything the way I want it.

Only thing in my mind is staying original black or vibrant red like I've always wanted. I've got a few years to decide

I vote "Both".... Lol

Dave,I have another non-fox body paint question.

When I bought my SN car-it came with these red stripes down the sides, and BOSS lettering on the fenders. The lettering has a very hard edge around the lettering
image.jpeg

The stripes you can feel an edge,but no where near as thick.
image.jpeg

I wouldn't mind just changing the stripe color-but I HATE the Boss lettering and want to make it go away..
How would I go about making the lettering go away?
And change the stripe color?
Thanks Dave

One more pic cause my kids in it :)
image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Dave,I have another non-fox body paint question.

When I bought my SN car-it came with these red stripes down the sides, and BOSS lettering on the fenders. The lettering has a very hard edge around the lettering
image.jpeg

The stripes you can feel an edge,but no where near as thick.
image.jpeg

I wouldn't mind just changing the stripe color-but I HATE the Boss lettering and want to make it go away..
How would I go about making the lettering go away?
And change the stripe color?
Thanks Dave

One more pic cause my kids in it :)
image.jpeg
Are they just stickers?

I wish- they are painted on.
They where stenciled and the black paint laid on top
Get me a better picture of them Chris.

It sounds like they just laid them out on top of your paint job. If I were there, I could make them gone in about fifteen minutes. Let me think about this for a minute.

Get me a better picture of them Chris.

It sounds like they just laid them out on top of your paint job. If I were there, I could make them gone in about fifteen minutes. Let me think about this for a minute.
I'll get some better pics tomorrow. All I know for sure is if you run your hand over the boss letters you can feel the outline lol

Tell you what Chris, do you have some fine grit sandpaper? Like 1500-2000 grit?

Start sanding on the Boss letters with the sandpaper and water, real light like. Do your best to stay just on the letters. See how easily they come off. Let me know how that goes before you finish sanding them off.

Want me to call?

Tell you what Chris, do you have some fine grit sandpaper? Like 1500-2000 grit?

Start sanding on the Boss letters with the sandpaper and water, real light like. Do your best to stay just on the letters. See how easily they come off. Let me know how that goes before you finish sanding them off.

Want me to call?

Absolutely Dave, I'll get some better pics, and some more fine grit sand paper, and go from there :)