Foxbodydan123 88 Lx Hatch Build

Sketchy_GT

Nov 13, 2016
Hello everyone, I've posted several threads recently involving some items with my build, but I've decided to post a build thread to keep my build problems and achievements together in one thread. I bought this 1988 LX 5.0 hatchback about three weeks ago knowing it would be a project, but with 2500 on the rebuilt 5.0 a rebuilt tranny and a fresh 3.55 rear end i couldnt pass it up. so far ive removed, cleaned, and reinstalled all interior components (I'm currently looking for 99-04 seats). The car was multi-colored when i bought it the front clip was satin black and the rest was red...ish but with about 10 cans of Krylon satin black it now looks good enough to be seen in public. my next project is going to be a new hood and seats.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Here is a picture before we finished painting the car it's actually the only picture I have right now, the handle is broke on the passenger side so that's on the list for this week as well

Attachments

• IMG_1757.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG
    497.8 KB · Views: 162
the plan is to paint it either black (legit paint lol) or like sonic blue before spring but i just wanted it a solid color for now and since the front was black i just did the rest of the car. just to make it somewhat presentable to the public, the exhaust on it is flowmaster(or some knock off brand) so that needs to be changed probably, since it is just the mufflers and no pipe after them

So I've discovered a slight tick close to the back of the engine on the passenger side it sounds like it's on the top end or maybe exhaust leak around the header hopefully will figure that out soon

What's up with the paint?

IMO Headlights have to go.

It's a rattle can paint job it's garbage everyone that has helped work in the car knows we all know the paint is trash I've already discussed the plan for a real paint job, and headlights I'd like a different set but that's low on the priority list

It's a rattle can paint job it's garbage everyone that has helped work in the car knows we all know the paint is trash I've already discussed the plan for a real paint job, and headlights I'd like a different set but that's low on the priority list
I know the feeling, mine has been a work in progress as well. I sported a rattle can job for awhile too.

That Lift off hood would bum me out any time I needed under there :(
lol looks like a straight car though,and the foundation of a good build,looking forward to updates

well those back ones are apparently for looks which is upsetting because the hood doesn't sit right because those pins are through the hinges but it still raises and props I want a different hood so i can get rid of those rear pins, thanks it really is a decent car and im already proud of it

Reactions: 1 user
I keep seeing things about the stock alternators not throwing enough charge on these cars, and my amp gauge reads low so if thats true i want to replace it but what is a good amp alternator to go with?

The real issue with Alts isn't total amp capacity, but the ability to supply that amperage at low rpm (near idle). The 2G alt was bad at this. The 3G alt was better, but the latest 6G alts do this pretty well.

Most modern cars only come with 110-130a alternators even with all that electrical stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users