FREE!

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
Now that I got your attention :) . . . .

I am desparately trying to find a good home for one of my oscars. I got 2 oscars when they where 2" and they got along famously for 1 1/2 years (thought they where going to be a breeding pair). But they've suddenly decided they hate eachother (crazy fish :rolleyes: ) so I'm forced to find a new home for one of them because I can't get any aquariums (Dad said "no more tanks", 2 tanks and a pond ago).

Like I said, he is 1 1/2 years old and 10" standard length (12" including his tail). He still isn't fully grown and I have no doubt that he has the potential to be a 14" - 16" fish so he would need at least a 75 gallon tank (a 55 might work, but it's only 12" wide which would be cramped).

charlie13.jpg

I'm more concerned with finding a good home than getting any money. So if anyone here is willing to come to Knob Noster, Mo (50 miles east of KC on hwy 50) and has a large tank that needs an occupant, please PM me.

And yes, I have been advertising him locally, but have only had 2 calls and both wanted him for 20 gallon tanks :bang: I've also asked all the local (and not so local) zoos & aquariums and all they have are native Missouri fish so they won't take him. I would just drop him off at the pet shop, but I don't trust them not to sell him to someone who a) doesn't know how to properly care for him b) doesn't have a large enough tank. I've also advertised him on all the fish forums I visit but no luck so far.

Since he's free and not car or car part, I hope this isn't agains the TOS.

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Chelle,

That's a beautiful Oscar. I'd love to take him, but I've got two problems. I sold my big tank, and I live about 1000 miles too far away.

I used to have two 12" Oscars (I too thought they were a breeding pair) but they both got hole in the head disease after I had them about a year. One lived about three more years, the other about 5 more years. Great fish though. Only fish I know of with a personality. I encourage anyone already in to aquariums to think about upgrading, but an Oscar is not a good first fish.

Hope you find it a good home.

Only fish I know of with a personality

That is so true. I had a friend with a large oscar, about 8-10", and it loved me for some reason. So much so that when I was over at her place and sitting on the couch the fish would jump out of the tank and into my lap...or try too. It was hilarious. She had to keep a lid on the tank when I was around. Strangest damn thing I have ever seen....in fact I would not have believed it if I wouldn't have witnessed it.

Well, Charlie went to his new home tonight. I had just put up new posters at Walmart this morning and this evening I got a call from a couple that has two 150 gallon tanks and have kept oscars before. So one of those 150's is going to be all his. As sad as I am to see him go, I'm glad he's getting a good home. And at least I still have my other oscar.

-Chelle

I had two just like yours.

They were great at jumping out of the tank and taking food out of my fingers. One took ill and up and died on me. Then I came home from a weekend BSA trip to find the other MIA. He jumped out of the tank and no one was there to put him back in and he died too. He was doing this all the time so I put books on top of the tank lid but he was so strong he just blasted the top off. I was bummed.

That's why it's not a good idea to encourage them to jump for food. It makes them less afraid to jump out of the water and more likely to end up on the floor.

A while back Sherbert, my other oscar, jumped out. I heard noise, but dismissed it as the cats. After about 10 minutes, I finally went to investigate and found her laying on the floor. She'd fallen 3 feet, flopped about 4 feet across the floor and layed there for 10 minutes in a house full of cats (luckily they where all asleep upstairs). I threw her back in the tank and a couple days later she was back to normal. But now I keep the lid secured with velcro. She'd have to break the glass to get out.

-Chelle

LOL.

Dad always jokes about my oscars being "eatin' size." Then a few weeks ago I was at Walmart and they had tilapia that where smaller than my oscars. Oscars are a game fish in florida. And honestly, if I actually liked fish (tuna & fishsticks are about all I can eat), I would try oscar; but not mine.

-Chelle