From '12 To '15; My Rambling Comparison

madweazl

Founding Member
May 30, 2001
Woodbridge VA
Picked up a yellow GT (premium with performance pack) and just wanted to post my initial impressions and a bit of comparison to my '12 (equally equipped).

The positive
The interior of the '15 feels a bit more solid initially. My '12 only had 29k miles but had a couple rattles inside (chrome bezel around tach and glove box).
The cooled seats were awesome. Black interior and 90° temps makes for some nasty naughty bits in a hurry but I actually had the seat on the lowest setting and it was perfect.
The display between the gauges has all kinds of useful data, pretty cool.
Moving the sub to the trunk vice the doors freed up a considerable amount of legroom.
I like the new reverse lockout.
The leather is a bit more supple, the padding it a bit softer under the legs, and they still provide adequate support for spirited driving.
Telescoping steering wheel!

The negative
Absolutely hate the shifter. They say it is shorter throw but it protrudes further up and isnt as ergonomically positioned as it was in the '12.
The ride is a bit lethargic. Granted I've been driving on an Eibach Pro Kit for the last three years but they were almost identical to the stock springs of the '12.
The blind spot indicators are nice but I'd rather have the fish eye from the '12's side view mirrors.
Doesnt pull nearly as hard in 2nd gear compared to the '12 (both had 3.73s) according to the butt dyno. Had 285 Pilot Sport 3s on the '12 and was always right on the edge of breaking loose but the '15 isnt anywhere close in that regard.
It feels heavy, almost lethargic. Maybe it's just because it's more planted but it doesnt feel like a Mustang. That could be a good thing, I just dont know yet.
Clutch engagement is literally all the way out with a tiny window. Why even bother with a clutch at this rate?

At this point, it feels like a sidegrade vice an upgrade. I got more luxury items (always nice) but lost the raw visceral feel of the '12.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah, my 13' stick felt like a totally different car. I love them both, but for different reasons.

Like you described, the '15 is more refined, more luxurious. The '13 was more traditional muscle car, felt faster in a straight line, and felt like a true american muscle car. The '15 feels like a European supercar at times and feels like it can corner a lot better, but you don't get that same planting feeling in a straight line.

It's strange to say that they are truly different, and I kind of want my 13' back, and to keep my '15 as well, to drive them as I desire one or the other. :eek:

My 12 and 16 pull hard on the same can tune. The 16 keeps traction and handles much better. But the 12 had that I'm about to lose it feel that made you think you had more power etc. it was a premium and my 16 is a fastback with just the PP as extra. It has the lil bubble Windows. I'm in Newport News. How's the Stang scene up there in Woodbridge? I go up there once in a while to buy ammo.

image.png

Moved down to Fredericksburg in December. There are quite a few Mustangs running around northern VA; we had a small cruise back in November that was fun but I havent been to another event since because of the work schedule and move..

Reactions: 1 user