Front Coil Overs?

JQHNDi

Aug 14, 2014
Some necessary background info: I own an 01 GT with the IRS from an 03 Cobra swapped in. That being said, its coming time to replace my struts in the front as that dreaded crashing is coming back. And everytime this comes up I start considering coilovers, but have seen that coilovers made specifically for the cobra (like my mustang imitates) are EXTREMELY expensive, so I was wondering.

Would it be at all beneficial to only convert my front suspension to coil overs? ill take any chance at increasing my mustangs handling I can get, but if the front coil over kits (for example ones sold on popular mustang parts sites) will only really give my mustang the ability to adjust my ride height then ill pass and just replace the struts and bushings and such.

Im really just looking to get the most handling out of my car and save some money wherever I can. and am curious if a simple front coilover kit will do that. Thanks for your help! :)

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome, am going to be replacing bushings and ball joints at the same time I put the coilover's in so Im excited to see how she feels after all that work! Thanks for the reply!

Which coilovers are you looking at? Based on the IRS swap I figure you are more into the turns. I have MM coilovers front n rear on mine. Right now it is with bilsteins up front with Koni double adjustables in the rear. Front Koni's will come as soon as I have the spare money to drop on them.

Another thing with coilovers is the ability to get a better tune on spring rate as well and that can be just as beneficial as having adjustable shocks n struts. Most conventional spring setups don't have much in the spring rate department and a lot are progressive which works great on a vehicle that is daily driven or you want as little brain trouble as possible. But coilovers are a great addition to any build whether its corners or straight lines. And coilovers with adjustable struts and shocks are even better. That said though if your not looking for adjustable struts and shocks but want coilovers my experience with my stang is that it loved the Bilsteins. Mine should be ready for the race to the clouds come springtime!