Frustration With 2014 Gt (5.0 Motor Noise And Performance)

Lopez10GT

Apr 10, 2011
I have been dealing with this problem for the last year+ and the problem is getting exponentially worse day-t0-day and as if it wasn't bad enough before, I had the oil changed for the 2nd time recently (at the dealer mind you), and the car sounds even more like a pos than before.

It is an embarrassment to drive this car around. I am not even proud of it the way it sounds. Sad I spend 40k on a car and I don't even want to drive it. I am a Ford guy, I mean I have only owned 20+ Fords.

I thought I had it isolated to the upper #8 cylinder area. But honestly now I can't figure it out for the life of me. It isn't the regular variable cam timing. I have listene
d to literally 30 other 5.0s and they sound leaps and bounds better. The sound is definitely getting worse by the week, and is embarrassing more then words can ever describe.

I have had two different dealers look at it, and once even twice, and they keep blowing me off telling me nothing is wrong. Whaling City Ford of New London, CT (looked at it twice) and Girard For of Norwich, CT. They both come back each time with nothing. I bring it in and the Managers admit the sound is horrid, but when they finally give up on me and that doesn't take long they retract saying "Oh that is normal". The customer service reps and managers at these dealerships act like I have zero clues regarding cars in general and think they can trick me into, oh yeah that is completely normal for a new car.

On cold starts of if the car isn't fully warmed up, when beginning to back up or take of the car either nearly dies (idle drops to 100-300) or dies. Happens pretty consistently. The noise is a LOUD tap that adjust with the RPM of the motor, it is drowned out by the revving of the motor past 2.5-3k, but it is beyond present at all times. I used to pull an average of about 17-18mpg average now I am lucky to pull 14 mpg. The car feels completely sluggish considering it used to feel great. Accelerated onto the highway worries me. The power just isn't there. My 2013 Ford Fusion Ecoboost 2.0 pulls as hard, which is completely sad.

I am thinking an injector or a bad valve assembly. I unfortunately can't tear into the motor because I know the answer will be "you voided the warranty" from the dealerships.

Anyone else at the point where they don't even want a 2011-2015 Mustang because of the 5.0 itself? I know it is completely hit or miss on the motors, but I totally missed on getting a good one. :poo: is saddening, and I am at the point where I might just drop the :leghump:ing thing off until the fix it, and I start filing complaints through every avenue there is out there, BBB, etc.

I am at my wits end. What the hell should I do?

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting............usually the dealer will call the district rep, he comes out, looks at it, listens to it, calls the factory about it, usually tells the tech to do this, that or the other thing, and if those do not address the problem, they usually just order up a new engine and drop it in. Seen it happen many times. If the noise is as bad as you say, and the dealership cannot find a problem, a new engine should be on the way.

Reactions: 1 user
I really do wish I could get a resolution on the problem. This motor sounds like it is on it's last leg at 10k miles. You would be disgusted to even be driving it. People actually look over at the car weird, not to check it out because of the sound. I have 3 buddies on base here with 5.0s and their cars are so much quieter, and run so much smoother, and even accelerate better and smoother. They basically refused to pursue diagnosing it anymore. They act like I enjoy being without my vehicle for half a week to have them take a listen to it and tell me "oh that is normal". So I guess normal means, extremely loud, rough idle, dies on acceleration (literally falls on it's face sometimes), and normal is apparently not what ever other car sounds/runs like.

The saddest part is I actually baby the car. Sure some pulls to get on the freeway, which here in CT sucks due to the short on ramps, but never past 5.5k rev or below. But I guarantee I baby my car more than 90% of the other 5.0 owners for fear of making the problem worse especially. This problem has been present since 2000 miles. Before it was just a bad noise, but now that bad noise has evolved to horrid starting idles, idles off and on badly, falls on it's face on acceleration when cold, when warm the performance is lack luster, bad gas mileage, etc. =(

I have been dealing with this problem for the last year+ and the problem is getting exponentially worse day-t0-day and as if it wasn't bad enough before, I had the oil changed for the 2nd time recently (at the dealer mind you), and the car sounds even more like a pos than before.

It is an embarrassment to drive this car around. I am not even proud of it the way it sounds. Sad I spend 40k on a car and I don't even want to drive it. I am a Ford guy, I mean I have only owned 20+ Fords.

I thought I had it isolated to the upper #8 cylinder area. But honestly now I can't figure it out for the life of me. It isn't the regular variable cam timing. I have listene
d to literally 30 other 5.0s and they sound leaps and bounds better. The sound is definitely getting worse by the week, and is embarrassing more then words can ever describe.

I have had two different dealers look at it, and once even twice, and they keep blowing me off telling me nothing is wrong. Whaling City Ford of New London, CT (looked at it twice) and Girard For of Norwich, CT. They both come back each time with nothing. I bring it in and the Managers admit the sound is horrid, but when they finally give up on me and that doesn't take long they retract saying "Oh that is normal". The customer service reps and managers at these dealerships act like I have zero clues regarding cars in general and think they can trick me into, oh yeah that is completely normal for a new car.

On cold starts of if the car isn't fully warmed up, when beginning to back up or take of the car either nearly dies (idle drops to 100-300) or dies. Happens pretty consistently. The noise is a LOUD tap that adjust with the RPM of the motor, it is drowned out by the revving of the motor past 2.5-3k, but it is beyond present at all times. I used to pull an average of about 17-18mpg average now I am lucky to pull 14 mpg. The car feels completely sluggish considering it used to feel great. Accelerated onto the highway worries me. The power just isn't there. My 2013 Ford Fusion Ecoboost 2.0 pulls as hard, which is completely sad.

I am thinking an injector or a bad valve assembly. I unfortunately can't tear into the motor because I know the answer will be "you voided the warranty" from the dealerships.

Anyone else at the point where they don't even want a 2011-2015 Mustang because of the 5.0 itself? I know it is completely hit or miss on the motors, but I totally missed on getting a good one. **** is saddening, and I am at the point where I might just drop the ****ing thing off until the fix it, and I start filing complaints through every avenue there is out there, BBB, etc.

I am at my wits end. What the hell should I do?
Any update, its been about a year. Has your issue been resolved?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk