Fuel Gauge Issues

Az Pete

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Panama City, Fl.
Recently purchased this 02 GT 5 speed convertible with 75,000 miles. The fuel gauge gives some odd readings as the level drops.

Gauge reads full.....tank is full...14 gal
Gauge reads 3/4.....tank is 2 gal down
Gauge reads 1/2.....tank is 5 gal down
Gauge reads 1/4.....tank is 7 gal down
Gauge reads with the needle just at the red....tank is 11 gal down

Low fuel light as yet to come on, mainly because I have not trusted it to run it that empty to test the light.

Also the gauge test thru the odometer shows a good test.

I am thinking it is just a sending unit issue....am I missing any possible issue?

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe you thinks it's 14 because you haven't gotten low enough for it to take the 15...

You watched the needles max out during the gauge test mode, but have you kept an eye on the fuel level feature in the test mode? I can't remember exactly but 250 is a full tank and 125 is a half ect.. Numbers may be off but google it!

If those numbers stay consistent I doubt it's fuel sending unit

Recently purchased this 02 GT 5 speed convertible with 75,000 miles. The fuel gauge gives some odd readings as the level drops.

Gauge reads full.....tank is full...14 gal
Gauge reads 3/4.....tank is 2 gal down
Gauge reads 1/2.....tank is 5 gal down
Gauge reads 1/4.....tank is 7 gal down
Gauge reads with the needle just at the red....tank is 11 gal down

Low fuel light as yet to come on, mainly because I have not trusted it to run it that empty to test the light.

Also the gauge test thru the odometer shows a good test.

I am thinking it is just a sending unit issue....am I missing any possible issue?
Hello., as far as I know it could be an issue with the in-tank fuel float thats attached to the in-tank fuel pump. If its the original part then you need to simply drop the tank cover then the tank as well (do that with as little fuel in the tank as possible to ease with R&I.

Have only put in 11 gal at the most, thought tank size was 14 gal....woops(old age sets in).....which puts it further off.

Fuel level feature matches gauge reading....155 which indicates just above 1/2 tank which matchs the gauge but not the amount of fuel in the tank which is consistent when filling when at that level....4-5 gals.

Yes, I am thinking the float part of the full pump assembly is screwed up...just gathering info before dropping the tank to install a complete new pump assembly.

Yup, take the tank down and pull the sending unit. You can test it with a multimeter, but if you have gotten that far, then you may as well replace it! Good luck!

Ps: if your not sure how to do it, I can send you step by step instructions from alldata via an email or picture text

Have only put in 11 gal at the most, thought tank size was 14 gal....woops(old age sets in).....which puts it further off.

Fuel level feature matches gauge reading....155 which indicates just above 1/2 tank which matchs the gauge but not the amount of fuel in the tank which is consistent when filling when at that level....4-5 gals.

Yes, I am thinking the float part of the full pump assembly is screwed up...just gathering info before dropping the tank to install a complete new pump assembly.
Okay so if you have that 11 gallons in the tank currently either drive around locally til you feel youre about out then let it sit a little longer; the least amount of gas to deal with the better. It'll be a bit heavy to handle.. So depressurize the system first and remove the screws from the filler neck and from the securing bracket underneath and any de-gas tubes as well. Pay mind to the length of the harness going to the sending unit/fuel pump; if youre doing the job on the ground itll be easier with a floor jack with the car up on stands.