fully charged battery dies within 2 days

SSS281

Founding Member
Dec 27, 2001
Kutztown, PA
im not sure how this all started because the car used to sit 3-6 months at a time and then fire right up the first time id try. but lately it cant go 3 days. i charge my battery with a charger until full, drop it in the car and i hook up a voltmeter and theres a 1.41 amp draw with the car off and doors shut/nothing on. i start playing around with some things like the radio on/off windows up/down and then shut everything off again and close the door and now im up to a 6.43 draw. i pull the #6 fuse under the hood for "instrument cluster/pcm" and it drops to 0.00 instantly. i noticed when that fuse is pulled the instrument cluster still works fine and lights up. the things that are affected are: one touch window down (windows still work), power locks, dome light, and speakers. when i plugged the fuse back in it jumped back up to 6.43. i disconnected my amps in the back for the mach460 and the speakers still work just no bass now but the draw dropped in half to 3.2 any ideas where i can poke around and find the other part of the draw? i pulled the fuses for theft, locks, and windows on the interior panel as well and it didnt drop. thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Mine does this too, and has been. I just got a new DD on thursday. Drove the new car the whole time until yesterday, get in the stang and start it up and almost did not start. I can tell the battery has been draining because all the gauges did a full sweep, same thing today when I went to work, start the stang and gauges do a full sweep. I need to drive it the next few days to get the battery back charged.

I agree with the alternator. I've had allot of experience with charging issues with my F150's 4.6 and I've had to replace the alternator 2x along with an alternator wiring harness, 1 battery, 2 negative cables, a positive cable and the starter. I don't yet know how much different if any the charging system is between the F150 and the Mustang but the one on my truck sucks.

He's got something draining the battery while the key is off, he's hasn't said the alt wasn't charging. Maybe in his next reply he will update us and tell us what voltage he's getting while running.

i will start it and check tonight. although the alternator might be a problem that i dont know, but the draining of the battery isnt caused by the alternator. its something else on that #6 slot 40amp fuse because when i pull that it goes to 0.00. thanks for the replies

I have the same problem, i had it looked at and what was draining my battery was one of my amps wouldn't go on standby mode when my car was off, and my GEM wouldnt go on stanby mode either when my car was off. so they were pretty much both on at the same time while my car was off.

what is the GEM? one of the amps was faulty so i pulled them both out i have a 15" sub to give me all the bass i need anyway. maybe the GEM is my other problem too im trying to think of what that would stand for but im drawing a blank. its the end of the day im burned out. thanks for the input

GEM = "Generic Electronics Module", so-called because it is used in virtually every Ford and Mercury model. Also known as the "Multifunction Electronics Module", it controls remote keyless entry, electric door locks, trunk release, trunk light, interior courtesy lights, intermittent windshield wipers, auto-down driver's window, and some other subsystems.

The GEM "goes to sleep" after 20 minutes or so, and current draw should be less than 20mA (0.02 Amp). However, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, or opening a door, will cause it to "wake up" and draw a higher current. After connecting your current meter, you have to wait 20 minutes or more for the GEM to shut down before you can get an accurate reading of standby current.

what is the GEM? one of the amps was faulty so i pulled them both out i have a 15" sub to give me all the bass i need anyway. maybe the GEM is my other problem too im trying to think of what that would stand for but im drawing a blank. its the end of the day im burned out. thanks for the input

My dad's Bullitt had a wire in the trunk that wasn't properly insulated which caused a short that kept the GEM awake at all times. We didn't know we even had the problem for a long time. The Ford mechanic that fixed it (it was still under warrenty) said there is a TSB about a specific wire in the trunk that is for the stereo system. Apparently this isn't the most uncommon problem in the world if there is a TSB on it.