gas tank pick up

brianj5600

Sep 19, 2003
Middle TN
I'm planning on making a good bit of hp so I am worried about the stock pick up in the tank. Has anyone ever modded the pick up w/o messing with the outside of the tank? Or know of websites that have info on it?

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting modeling the flow...let me know if you do what you find. I make about 430HP @ the flywheel and found the stock lines in a 64.5 to be adequate. I did several 1/4 mile runs and never had a starvation issue.
In fact I can turn off the fuel pumps from the cab and on occassion have left them off ....the float bowls keep you live for quite a while! Think of them as a capacitor for fuel

That said:

I run both a holley blue and a holley Red fuel pump
- one for NOS
- one for carb
Both have independent holley regulators set to 6 and 6.5 PSI

I have since upgraded all lines to stainless 3/8", I run 2 independent lines for each fuel system. NOTE: I have a mechanical cross-over valve to enable the NOS pump to be used for the carb should I need an "out of garage" pump fix.

-Q

Are both systems coming from the single fuel line coming out of the tank? Is that 430 before or after N2O? I'm looking for 600+ and want to keep my trunk and filler neck. Plus I don't want anything hanging down in back. I think paxton makes a large pick up for a fox body, but I have not seen anythig for us.

The attached is the trunk just prior to NOS tank installation (It's a one gallon aluminum fuel cell. I'll take a pic tonight of where and how I mounted everything. In a nut shell, I built a retangular frame that allows me to mount two big FRAM fuel filters and one Holley elec. pump. The NOS pump is mounted high up on the side just behind the gas tank but way to the passenger side. All located between the tank and the differential. If you look under the car from the rear you can just see the lower tips of the filters but nothing else.

I run 1 independent lines one from each pump, both pumps have their own filter. The carb fuel supply comes directly from the tank pickup and is the only non-AN fitting in the entire system. The NOS fuel comes from a separate tank (foamed for anti-foam/splash) mounted just forward and to the side of the battery box in the trunk. All hard lines are 3/8 stainless, all connectors are -6 A/N and all flex lines are steel braided -6.

You can take the sending unit to a radiator shop and have them mod it how you want. I had them braze on a female -8 so that I can attach my braided line right onto it. If you want a larger pickup tube I am sure they can cut off the existing tube and braze in a larger tube bent to mimic the shape of the existing tube. If you need a return line have them add a second tube to the sending unit.