Gauge Cluster Is Messing Up

matt_01_4.6_gt

Apr 24, 2015
I have an 01 gt that has had some water damage. I had the plugs changed and all pcm wires dried and cleaned, my shop said the pcm doesnt have any damage. Things I've experienced have been: when the car is shut off gauges don't return all the way back, dashed line in odometer slot when the car is shut off, odometer was COMPLETELY off when the car was running only one time, fuel trim is around -5 at 80mph(about 2000 rpm). Occasionally when you let off the throttle it almost feels like a downshift (its an auto). Can't think of what it could be and need help.

• Sponsors (?)

Things being powered with the ignition key off points to two areas. Bad ignition switch or bad CCRM.

The cluster is mainly powered via the ignition switch. Normally I would say start there. However, if the front right area of the car where the CCRM is located got wet, I would start there.

Do you have a volt-ohm Meter? Do you plan on doing the test yourself or is this just going back to the shop? Likely some fairly detailed electrical tests will be needed. Unless you just want to change the ignition switch in a "parts changing" mode.

Note the ignition electrical switch is NOT the same as the key lock cylinder. Replacing the ignition switch is not hard and does not require PATS to be re-programmed.

Now for the bad news. It may never be possible to get all of the water out depending upon what got wet.

Another possibility is a problem with the cluster. Sometimes the solder joints to the electrical plug on the cluster printed circuit board will crack and become un-soldered. Search on the F150online.com site for a post from "Greg Upton":

Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Things being powered with the ignition key off points to two areas. Bad ignition switch or bad CCRM.

The cluster is mainly powered via the ignition switch. Normally I would say start there. However, if the front right area of the car where the CCRM is located got wet, I would start there.

Do you have a volt-ohm Meter? Do you plan on doing the test yourself or is this just going back to the shop? Likely some fairly detailed electrical tests will be needed. Unless you just want to change the ignition switch in a "parts changing" mode.

Note the ignition electrical switch is NOT the same as the key lock cylinder. Replacing the ignition switch is not hard and does not require PATS to be re-programmed.

Now for the bad news. It may never be possible to get all of the water out depending upon what got wet.

Another possibility is a problem with the cluster. Sometimes the solder joints to the electrical plug on the cluster printed circuit board will crack and become un-soldered. Search on the F150online.com site for a post from "Greg Upton":

Intermittent Odometer - A Repair
I took it to the shop to see what they think and the mechanic said to start with grounds then check relays. I opened the ccrm and it was dry and clean so I don't think it would be that. He gave me a book of all the wiring schematics, do you have any suggestions on what to check first?