Gauges Messed Up After Alternator Replacement

Jason Guerra

Jul 14, 2016
i just got done replacing the alternator on my 2006 Mustang GT, it was working fine for a couple minutes then the radio & the system crashed and "restarted", when I say restart its like the car turned off and turned back on in a blink of an eye without me manually starting the car with the key and clutch. Now the left side gauges are unbalanced. My RPM sits at 1700, my gas and battery gauges show full even when I turn it off.
What could be causing this & how do I fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure what causes it, but I would pull the negative battery cable off for a few moments, then reconnect and see if that doesn't clear it up. It is quick and easy to do. Perhaps at first connect static or something caused it to glitch.

Not sure what causes it, but I would pull the negative battery cable off for a few moments, then reconnect and see if that doesn't clear it up. It is quick and easy to do. Perhaps at first connect static or something caused it to glitch.
Thank you for your reply, everything seemed to go back to normal overnight.
I have not been having any problems since I had gone to sleep and restarted the car in the morning.

I had a theory that the battery and the new alternator have to balance each other out and work out the kinks on its own?
May be a foolish theory, but could that be possible?