Gears Change From 3:31 To 3:73 Gears

• Sponsors (?)

Keithrp7255:

Disclaimer: I don't take my garage queen to the track (strip or road) but I read a lot on various forums so I have plenty of second hand advice to offer.

Manual or automatic? You should calculate what gear you will be in at the end of the quarter-mile - 3.73s may be too steep, just depends on your power output. You should consider tweaking the rear suspension because traction will be harder to come by.
You'll be doing more shifting, lol. 3.73/3.31 = 1.127 so the speedo will be off by about 12.7% (reading higher than it should) and you will need a tuner to adjust the speedo (manual) or shift points (auto). If you're getting a tuner, get a tune from a reputable tuner.

Ask around on a local Houston Mustang forum and you'll find a few recommendations for gear places. Expect to pay 400 to $600 for labor without gears and with gears included, respectively. You can find a cheaper price but you want to find a place that knows how to set up the pinion depth and the backlash. It's an iterative process so it takes time and time is money.

HTH,

Chris