Gears

LIZARDKING

Nov 16, 2004
Hell
Our 94 GT vert has 3.08 gears. They suck.

Ive been thinking about a set of 3.55s.

I can buy a set of new take-out 3.31s for $40 shipped.

Im wondering if its worth going from 3.08s to 3.331s or not.

• Sponsors (?)

Well it all depends on what you care about. I have the 3.08's and I've never had an issue since my car is a stick (as yours appears to be). The final drive ratio is completely in my control, and with a turbo it's actually a benefit. If you do a lot of highway driving or cruising gears will have a negative effect. They're really much more beneficial on an automatic.

With that all said, if you were trying to go a little more crazy with gearing, 3.73's would be the tallest I'd go with on a street car. 3.31's will give you about 7.5% more revs per MPH than the 3.08's. 3.55's will give you about 15% more revs per MPH than 3.08's. On a stick you probably wouldn't find anything in ET's since you can just slip the clutch and leave it in a lower gear a little longer and get the same or larger effect. Or heck, get some lower profile tires.

With that all said again, $40 bucks is pretty cheap. If you DIY then you'll see some improvement and it may be worth it to you. Though a set of 3.55's is only going to set you back about $150 (either way you'll want an install kit with shims / bearings / etc. so about another $80) so if that's what you really want, get what you really want. If you pay for labor, then the difference between the $40 and $150 will even more quickly disappear.

So I realize this was thoroughly unhelpful. :) Remembering my car before I went forced induction, my problem was never the gear ratio. I could spin the tires all day long (plenty of torque) with the 3.08's and have complete control of rev-range with the stick. Where the car fell apart was its inability to breathe above 4000rpm, which gears will only make worse. I know everyone recommends gears as the first performance upgrade, I don't really agree with a manual trans.

I don't think going from 3.08's to 3.31's will satisfy your needs. The mechanical advantage between those gear sets isn't very significant.

I went from 3.08's to 3.73 in my much lighter Fox body Coupe and found them "adequate" when in was stock.

Considering your cars weight, I wouldn't go with anything under 3.73.

Go 3.73 and call it a day. Our cars like the lower gears to get it moving. Oh and nice to see someone else on here with a red interior SN95!