Getting Heads Back Today: Few Install Questions

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Sorry guys for doing another thread but its been a few months and just want to ask a few new questions. I have some of the permatex thread sealant with the ptfe so can i just use that on ALL of the bolts and put oil under the bolt heads?

thread sealant i bought for head job.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

on head bolts i have never used sealant, and never had an issue with coolant leaking. i would just use oil on the threads and under the bolt head to get a proper torque reading.

on head bolts i have never used sealant, and never had an issue with coolant leaking. i would just use oil on the threads and under the bolt head to get a proper torque reading.
well since i bought it i will just use this on all the threads and oil under the bolt heads :)

Use thread sealant on the threads of the lower, shorter, bolts. They go into the water jacket and need to be sealed. Oil or arp moly lube under the bolt heads.

Joe

And the answer is...

The cylinder head bolts are reusable, but some new ARP bolts are a better plan. Be aware that the ARP bolts have a radiused shank under the bolt head. The ARP washers have a matching radius machined into them. Be sure that the machined radius of the washer is fitted next to the machined radius on the ARP bolt heads. Forget this little fact and you will never get the head bolts to torque down properly.

Coat the underside of all bolt heads with anti seize and the threads of the long bolts. The short bolts thread directly into the water jacket and need a different treatment. Use Teflon Pipe dope on the threads of the short head bolts. It will prevent any coolant seepage from around the threads. You can get the Teflon pipe dope from the hardware stores, Home Depot or Lowes.

My preference is antiseize, the NAPA brand is what I have used in the past. The 1 pound can works good and lasts a long time. Be sure to use lots of antiseize on the exhaust bolts.

And the answer is...

The cylinder head bolts are reusable, but some new ARP bolts are a better plan. Be aware that the ARP bolts have a radiused shank under the bolt head. The ARP washers have a matching radius machined into them. Be sure that the machined radius of the washer is fitted next to the machined radius on the ARP bolt heads. Forget this little fact and you will never get the head bolts to torque down properly.

Coat the underside of all bolt heads with anti seize and the threads of the long bolts. The short bolts thread directly into the water jacket and need a different treatment. Use Teflon Pipe dope on the threads of the short head bolts. It will prevent any coolant seepage from around the threads. You can get the Teflon pipe dope from the hardware stores, Home Depot or Lowes.
My preference is antiseize, the NAPA brand is what I have used in the past. The 1 pound can works good and lasts a long time. Be sure to use lots of antiseize on the exhaust bolts.
on the header bolts to head as well as header to x pipe?