Good brakes for my GT 1995 5.0

Hey I need some advice for my 95. I'm going to be building a 351(400). I also want red calipers and may just go the fancy route of buying some already red with the stamped brand. I want a setup that will get me to stop and also want the looks of the nice calipers. The car will be a weekend driving, non track car, no auto-crosses or anything either.

Thanks
Cobra brakes front and rear would be plenty for that.

• Sponsors (?)

M-2300-m kit out back.

Up front, cobra brakes and rotors and lines.

Depending on what year front cobra brakes...

94-98 front cobra brakes = 94-95 cobra mc

99-04 cobra front brakes = 1993 cobra mc

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Cobra brakes front and rear would be plenty for that.
I will check with a guy I know that has a lot of mustang parts, sort of a salvage yard. Now I am kind of redoing this car and I must admit I like a nice fast street car that's also good looking and I've always wanted nice good looking rotors and shiny red calipers with brand stamping. I guess if i were to get them from a salvage yard in that regard they wouldn't be pretty more than likely lol. So are there any parts that I can get from a yard that wouldn't be seen much really? I used to like the drilled slotted rotors and there was another kind that was popular yrs ago but forgot the name of them. I think I've read yrs back where they were more for looks and didn't necessarily do better than normal ones??

So yeah as you guys can see I want to take my time and write out an option A option B as far as used things vs nice and new looking and compare. Any options as far as say a Wilco or Brembo caliper ( just a few examples) using them with other brake pieces if I can get some of the things I'm looking for on ebay?

M-2300-m kit out back.

Up front, cobra brakes and rotors and lines.

Depending on what year front cobra brakes...

94-98 front cobra brakes = 94-95 cobra mc

99-04 cobra front brakes = 1993 cobra mc

I will check with a guy I know that has a lot of mustang parts, sort of a salvage yard. Now I am kind of redoing this car and I must admit I like a nice fast street car that's also good looking and I've always wanted nice good looking rotors and shiny red calipers with brand stamping. I guess if i were to get them from a salvage yard in that regard they wouldn't be pretty more than likely lol. So are there any parts that I can get from a yard that wouldn't be seen much really? I used to like the drilled slotted rotors and there was another kind that was popular yrs ago but forgot the name of them. I think I've read yrs back where they were more for looks and didn't necessarily do better than normal ones??

So yeah as you guys can see I want to take my time and write out an option A option B as far as used things vs nice and new looking and compare. Any options as far as say a Wilco or Brembo caliper ( just a few examples) using them with other brake pieces if I can get some of the things I'm looking for on ebay?
I'd have to google the M-2300 kit.
Just sending you the same as I sent the previous poster. NOt sure how the notification thing works here.

What's your budget ? Complete cobra brake upgrade can be done for under $1000. For your car probably a couple hundred less. I've got a fox and found cobra front calipers, braided lines and rotors in a junk yard....paid 40 bucks....the rear came with a full IRS rear ( that was a little more moolah 800 ) the vacuum brake booster wasnt bad from LMR and the master cylinder was from a junk yard for 20 bucks. My car needed a full swap....but your car doesn't need near as much. Check out the LMR website catalog.

Baer and Brembo are high dollar brake set ups. Way too much money for what I need, but they do look purdy.

What's your budget ? Complete cobra brake upgrade can be done for under $1000. For your car probably a couple hundred less. I've got a fox and found cobra front calipers, braided lines and rotors in a junk yard....paid 40 bucks....the rear came with a full IRS rear ( that was a little more moolah 800 ) the vacuum brake booster wasnt bad from LMR and the master cylinder was from a junk yard for 20 bucks. My car needed a full swap....but your car doesn't need near as much. Check out the LMR website catalog.

Baer and Brembo are high dollar brake set ups. Way too much money for what I need, but they do look purdy.
I have to be honest figure up exactly what and how high I want to go for upgrading them. Haven't really done much figuring up lately as I have just had sooo much other stuff going on to be honest. I can see allotting 500-1000 to upgrade the brakes. I'm the mindset now of doing it and be done and also be satisfied. I will probably tommorow jot done more in detail of things I will need and options, ect.

Yes i want to walk out to the car and see nice red pretty calipers and maybe nice good looking rotors too. I have before painted my calipers and they looked decent. This time around I'd probbly want that manufacuter's paint and stamped name. Just have to look at some images and stuff online to get some insight.

As far as the 99-04 GT brakes for the rear ( M-2300 kit from AM), are the brakes from the 99-04 V6 and GT's that much better than the SN 94-95s?

Will that be the 13 inch upgrade and did those cars come with 13 inch brakes?

As far as the 99-04 GT brakes for the rear ( M-2300 kit from AM), are the brakes from the 99-04 V6 and GT's that much better than the SN 94-95s?

Will that be the 13 inch upgrade and did those cars come with 13 inch brakes?

Sn95 chassis is 94-04

All 94-04 GT/v6 have the same brakes out back. GT/v6 get 10.5" solid rotors and cobra/mach1/Bullitt get the 11.65" vented rotors out back.

Up front is different. Cobra/mach1/Bullitt got 13" rotors and unique calipers up front

Sn95 chassis is 94-04

All 94-04 GT/v6 have the same brakes out back. GT/v6 get 10.5" solid rotors and cobra/mach1/Bullitt get the 11.65" vented rotors out back.

Up front is different. Cobra/mach1/Bullitt got 13" rotors and unique calipers up front

Ok gotcha now. I will probably just get the M 2300 kit and as for calipers can I use mine or I need the cobra ones?
either way I might go with the caliper covers all nice pretty and red. Not the brembo ones though which are plastic. And more than likely I won't find any used cobra calipers that are nice and in good paint condition. If I even have to use cobra calipers. I will probably cover which ever calipers I get with the covers

Ok gotcha now. I will probably just get the M 2300 kit and as for calipers can I use mine or I need the cobra ones?
either way I might go with the caliper covers all nice pretty and red. Not the brembo ones though which are plastic. And more than likely I won't find any used cobra calipers that are nice and in good paint condition. If I even have to use cobra calipers. I will probably cover which ever calipers I get with the covers

Now that I'm back on a PC, I can expand a little bit.

Lets start up front.

94-98 GT/v6 use a single piston 66mm caliper and 10.9 rotors.
99-04 GT-V6 use the same 10.9" rotors, but with dual piston 44.5mm aluminum calipers. Direct bolt onto the 94-98 cars except the 94-95 guys may need to clearance the spindle slightly for the larger pistons. Not a big deal.

If you want a bigger rotor, the Cobra 13" kit is the way to go. Larger rotors and a caliper unique to that setup. There's a 94-98 version that came on the cobra only, and a 99-04 version that came on the cobra, mach 1 and bullitt only.

Whichever of the above calipers you select, will require a MC change to compensate.

Out back...

all 94-04 use the same calipers, but the cobra/mach1/bullitt use a different pad support bracket to clear the wider rotor. You will need to find these, and I believe rockauto.com and parts stores do sell them separately.

These pics show the part I'm talking about
21_caliper_brackets.jpg

21_cal_comparsn.jpg

But as far as the actual rear caliper that pushes the pads...same part on all 94-04. Pads are thinner on the cobra though.

Other than that, for your V6, if you bought the M-2300-M kit for out back. the only part you need to get would be the bracket I showed above. You could then resell all your v6 stuff (same as GT) on CL or ebay and recoop some funds.

Your booster can stay

My recommendations for MC when changing from the 94-98 GT/V6 stuff
99-04 GT/V6 calipers = 1993 Cobra 1" MC
94-98 Cobra calipers = 94-95 Cobra 15/16" MC
99-04 cobra calipers = 1993 Cobra 1" MC

Reactions: 1 user
Now that I'm back on a PC, I can expand a little bit.

Lets start up front.

94-98 GT/v6 use a single piston 66mm caliper and 10.9 rotors.
99-04 GT-V6 use the same 10.9" rotors, but with dual piston 44.5mm aluminum calipers. Direct bolt onto the 94-98 cars except the 94-95 guys may need to clearance the spindle slightly for the larger pistons. Not a big deal.

If you want a bigger rotor, the Cobra 13" kit is the way to go. Larger rotors and a caliper unique to that setup. There's a 94-98 version that came on the cobra only, and a 99-04 version that came on the cobra, mach 1 and bullitt only.

Whichever of the above calipers you select, will require a MC change to compensate.

Out back...

all 94-04 use the same calipers, but the cobra/mach1/bullitt use a different pad support bracket to clear the wider rotor. You will need to find these, and I believe rockauto.com and parts stores do sell them separately.

These pics show the part I'm talking about
21_caliper_brackets.jpg

21_cal_comparsn.jpg

But as far as the actual rear caliper that pushes the pads...same part on all 94-04. Pads are thinner on the cobra though.

Other than that, for your V6, if you bought the M-2300-M kit for out back. the only part you need to get would be the bracket I showed above. You could then resell all your v6 stuff (same as GT) on CL or ebay and recoop some funds.

Your booster can stay

My recommendations for MC when changing from the 94-98 GT/V6 stuff
99-04 GT/V6 calipers = 1993 Cobra 1" MC
94-98 Cobra calipers = 94-95 Cobra 15/16" MC
99-04 cobra calipers = 1993 Cobra 1" MC
Trust me man I love replying on a pc but I know sometimes you have to respond to try and keep up with the topic and when folks can reply a little easier.

Actually the car that I bought is a 95 GT because of my converted V6 to a GT is wrecked. I'm going to build the one I bought until I figure out what I'm going to do with the other; more than likely try and sell it.

I will go with the Cobra setup and get the M2300 kit for the rears. I haven't seen the front setup in a kit. Does anyone sell it or would I have to piece together?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-brake-bracket-kit.html

American muscle says the M2300 kit for the rear would have everything I need in it to work. Sounds like he's saying I wouldn't need to buy a bracket.

Also sounds like he said that the FR would be the least expensive kit for the front @ $1211.97 but would have everything needed in it. Dang seems like one of the posters here was saying I should be able to do my car for less than $1000 total as the fox was around $1000 but then again used is the route he went.

Last edited:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-brake-bracket-kit.html

American muscle says the M2300 kit for the rear would have everything I need in it to work. Sounds like he's saying I wouldn't need to buy a bracket.

I've installed that kit. It doesn't come with the caliper bracket. You still need to get it, or you can grind out your GT calipers with a die grinder to clear the rotors.

Used to be a company that sold the rear caliper brackets separate. Trying to find them for you.

Steeda has the 2300-M kit cheaper

http://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-1994-2004-mustang-rear-brake-kit-M-2300-M/

When I bought these kits, the 2300-m kit was $199, and the front cobra setup (calipers, rotors, SS line) was $399.

Here's the rear caliper bracket

http://www.americanmuscle.com/reman-rear-caliper-bracket-9404.html

If cost is a concern, just focus on the fronts. Unless you are going to go road racing or want to fill up your rims in the back, the rear brakes aren't as critical to do.
cool man thanks a lot. Yeah I may just get them all done at same time or might just do the fronts. Is it a must though to go 13 inch brakes with doing a 351(400) for a weekend driving street car? I thought I read where some said just upgrade to hawk pads and something else. Can't remember what the car's setup in question was though and how much power.