Engine Good Price To Pay For Heads And Short Block

Hey guys, I am looking at buying a short block and some gt40 heads for my 94 cobra. I am curious what is a good price I should expect to pay for them? Just want to go in with some knowledge. Also the short block is from a regular 95 GT. Would that be the same as my 94 Cobra (or compatible)?

Any input really appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

The price of the short block is relative to condition. The only difference between the GT shortblock and the Cobra shortblock is the camshaft. Are you talking about a set of stock GT40 iron heads that came on the Cobra?

Kurt

Its a "good" condition block and I am checking into if they are irons. I'll report back when I have the answer. Sorry one more question. I have a cam shaft off my cobra. I know I asked about a 95 GT vs a 94 Cobra block. Assuming I pick up the heads, would a bare block from a 89-93GT be the same?

BTW thanks gents for taking the time to reply.

The shortblock of an 89'-93' would serve the same purpose. Technically, the 92' and older Mustangs had forged pistons, and the 93' and newer engines had cast pistons, but it makes absolutely no difference in this application. As long as you have your Cobra cam and tin you can make it back into a Cobra engine. The stock GT40 heads that came on the Cobra have trivial value because the GT40p heads that came on the Explorer engines were actually better, and you can pick those up very cheaply from a salvage. Most people are going to hunt around for a GT40p head instead of a Cobra GT40 head if they are doing a budget build. I am honest about this even though I currently have a set of Cobra GT40 heads that I am selling right now. One of the intake bolts broke off in the in the head and I am honestly not even sure if it's worth the hassle to have the bolt extracted to sell them vs just recycling them for scrap. I have an original Cobra cam too.

Kurt