Got An 06 Gt , Debating F150 'yote Swap, Have Questions!

GHFadmin

Apr 8, 2015
Hey everyone,

Ive got a manual 06 GT 5spd premium, had it since 09. Shes got 75k on her and Ive kept her in great condition, recently did a bunch of tune up items, new in/out tie rods, ball joints, brakes, shocks/struts spark plugs( none broke) yada yada. Ive kept her in such good condition I dont wanna sell her cause they arent worth much used, figured Id try to find a way to breathe some life back into her. Doing all this work recently has had me thinking

The F150 coyote motors are alot cheaper. I was thinking about dropping one into my car. I was wondering if anyone could chime in with anything they know about the swap, what all would be involved, or if theres even a kit out. Ive did alot of my own reading and so far what I think I know is

I can use any 2011+ headers, dont need custom
The motor will bolt directly to my T 3650
The motor has much less HP due to different cams and tuning\cast iron manifolds.
It has the same crank and pistons.
2012 and up f150 motors have a "windage" tray, dont get the 2011 ones (not sure on this one)
Has an oil cooler in the front (not side like boss)
I have a stock 5.0 mustang upper intake and air box I can use.

I have questions like how to make this work with my computer, what about the new electronic steering, and the newer fuel system, do i need another oil pan, where do i buy a tune with for my sctx3 since its an f150 motor? I have a good mechanic who can do the work if I get the parts and a basic run down, hes done quite a few traditional swaps.

I just need as much info as I can get. Any and ALL help is greatly greatly appreciated guys. Id love to do this and 5.0 badge her. :)

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

It's more hassle than it's worth and it'll cost a lot more than you think. If you really want some extra cubes I suggest you swap in a Brenspeed B302 short block, have your existing heads ported, delete the CMCVs from your existing intake manifold, add a pair of NSR 127200 cams, bolt on a pair of LT headers, and have the whole set-up custom tuned.

My 06 has 188,000 miles and still runs strong. Why do you feel you need to swap the block? If you want more power, consider just adding around 6 to 8 psi of boost with whatever supercharger you pick. The motor can handle it. Or just add cams and longtubes. Things like that. The motor still has plenty of life.

Added a Roush TVS2300 Supercharger (with Brenspeed 560R upgrade) to my 05 GT and love it. Turn the car into a completely different animal to drive. I have a grin from ear to ear every time it drive it. It's like having a new car again.

Reactions: 1 user
Look at how little Bullit95 did to get a 12.74 @ 108. He did low budget mods, even made good use of used parts. That's the way to go in my book. Parts the really wear, perhaps new. Anything else, used is fine. He picked smart upgrades for his cash and made the car work like a higher dollar car. And those mods improve MPGs if driven nice. A double win.

Reactions: 1 user
:D :D :D
I wouldn't call my clutch/flywheel upgrade a low budget mod but the McLeod RXT should last the lifetime of the car. Ironically it doesn't cost much more than a new OEM clutch/flywheel, but the dual disc clutch is capable of handling 1000hp and the clutch pedal is lighter than stock for good daily driver use.
The Barton shifter was pretty stiff at first but with the passage of time, it's loosened up some and has become more fun to use. Compared to the stock shifter, it looks like it was hewn from solid granite and it feels like it too.
I've really just tried to correct some of the deficiencies that the car came with from the factory so it'll be more enjoyable to drive. My next mods will be to replace the stock two-piece plugs with Champion one-piece units so I'll never have to worry about plugs breaking, and my stock driveshaft has a little grease weeping from the center bearing so it'll be a good excuse to upgrade to a one-piece aluminum unit. The 20lb weight saving would be handy too.

Bullitt95 How do you like the dual clutch setup. My next mod is going be upgrading my clutch and I'm thinking of a dual disc clutch setup as well, but I have heard they can be a little noisy. This would drive me up the wall, as I can't stand things that rattle or squeak when it comes to my car.
Have you experienced any kind of a noise issue (more than stock) with your clutch setup?

There's no noise at all and the engagement is very smooth. Apart from the lighter pedal you'd be hard-pressed to tell any difference from stock. I really liked it from day one.
As for the Barton shifter, the jury was out at first but now that I've driven a couple of thousand miles with it, I'm really beginning to like that too. :D

Agreed a couple of your mods weren't cheap. With your long term goal, they should turn out to be cheap over the life of the car though. My goal is 500,000 miles, almost at 190,000 now. The mods that made you quick were affordable though. And everything was less that trying to put a coyote in there as was the point of this thread. You have a smart build.

Your shifter would be fine in my book, the clutch being softer would bother me. I know it grips better, no doubt. But I put 357,000 miles on a cable operated Fox Body with a heavier than stock clutch. So I like a stiff clutch.

I have 130,000 miles on my Champion 7989's. I pulled them when they had 65,000 and they still looked good. Re-gapped them and put them back in. I didn't realize I had that many miles on them, we know what my next near project is.

On my Fox body all upgrades occured as replacements were needed. This 06 GT hasn't needed any replacements even with 190,000 miles, except tie rod ends.

LOL, I think the stock clutch is WAY too soft. I used to drive my old Fox Body with the very heavy cable clutch in 45 minutes of stop and go traffic each way. But I adjusted to the softer, so I could adjust again. When it fails, I may go that route.