Handling Problem

NewbStang

May 31, 2003
Hi, I have been having some rpobs with the mustang I bought when it comes to teh way it handles. It seems very unstable on anything but straight and flat road, Ive driven mustangs before so its not the fact of not being used to it. I was wondering if it couldb e the tires which are 275/40 front and back or is it mroe likely suspension related

• Sponsors (?)

More info would be helpful - what size wheels are the 275's on? 275's will want to track with the road more than smaller sizes. What do you mean by unstable? Unbalanced, the rear kicks out, just a feeling?

NewbStang said:
Hi, I have been having some rpobs with the mustang I bought when it comes to teh way it handles. It seems very unstable on anything but straight and flat road, Ive driven mustangs before so its not the fact of not being used to it. I was wondering if it couldb e the tires which are 275/40 front and back or is it mroe likely suspension related

built on a 27year old chassis.. i would say it's normal. running 275/40 on stock tires will give you a fugged ride as well.

do a little suspension mod and be happy.

Yeah man, you haven't said the year or anything about the car so I am going to concider you bought it used. Here are some possibilities

1. Shocks are shot
2. Sway bars loose, broke or missing
3. Cheap or faulty aftermarket suspension mods
4. Alignment
5. ?????? We need more info and tires may be bald or worse KUHMO's....lol

its a salvaged(used) 2003 GT produced in late 2002. Damage was to the left side (left support etc not sure of the extent..Im prob gonna check the sways first...The wheels/tires are stock cobra rims/tires decently new..I still need an alignment so I know for sure that is part of the problem

NewbStang said:
its the cobra rims...it feels like the car will slip out of control like it almost floats off the street

Can you be any more vague?

What speed are you talking about?
On a hard corner? Soft corner?
Stock suspension? Any modifications done?

You problem most likely isn't the alignment, it's probably the suspension. If it had prior damage, maybe the suspension is fugged up and not repaired correctly.

The only real time the car should lose it in a corner is if the rear end is upset by a bump or something. Then the rear will seem to "wander" until it settles.

Like the others have said, blame it on our Fairmont chasis :notnice: