Has Anyone Installed Late Model Stock Mufflers On A Fox?

68keyblr

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Arizona
I'm old and am sick of exhaust drone :) I am looking to make my daily commute as comfortable (quiet) as possible.

My current setup is an '86 GT with SVO Y-302 heads, tubular GT-40 intake, Accufab 70mm TB, BBK shorty equal length headers, and stock catted h pipe.

I like the sound on stock GT mustangs from 2011 and later. I have to believe these mufflers are pretty free flowing given the power output of the coyote 5.0.

Has anyone used these mufflers on a fox? Did they work as expected in terms of eliminating sound/drone?

Any suggestions on quieting the exhaust without killing performance are welcome

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the responses. I think I may take both of your advice. I believe the PO put flowmaster 40s on it. I'll probably swap them out for walkers or dynomax super turbos with the bullet mufflers,

I have the Dynomax super turbos on my '68 and they do a reasonably good job of quieting down the exhaust but are still loud. Not surprising given the lack of cats and cam profile. I think they would do much better with the milder combo in my '86 and the bullets.

How loud are the MagnaFlows at freeway cruising speeds? I don't mind some noise at WOT but cruising between 2,000 to 2,500 RPM I want it quiet

I've ridden in hooty's car. It's exactly what you are asking for. Quiet mellow idle, aggressive wot. Look into the magnaflows, or the jegs/summit copies. They sound great.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the dynomax mufflers on my 89' I thought they were quiet enough. I ended up switching back to flowmasters on my 86 because I like the louder style. But I don't drive it much lol

I had a pair of late model mustang gt mufflers welded on to my 92 SHO. It had stock manifolds uncatted mid pipes and was a little louder than stock and definitely manageable. They are free flowing mufflers and provided the sound I needed but they may be too loud for you. Ringing @MFE92 to tell you all about those dynomax vts

Walker are stock for fox, check out the dynomax ultraflows, me a number of others on here are running them and happy,
same scenario hate drone etc....

Yes, Dynomax VT's kick ass. Everybody's got this recipe and that recipe that supposedly don't drone. They're all full of :poo: IMO :D I've been through every goddamned muffler in the universal catalog of mufflers, and they ALL drone, except the VT's, and the reason is the valve they have inside them. At idle and part-throtte cruise, the valve stays closed and the gases and sound are routed through the whole muffler, drone-free. I drove my car to work this morning and was reminded that the damned thing is as quiet as a cadillac all through the normal Drone Zone and beyond. But get on it hard, and the valve opens up, and they let the song of our people sing loud and clear.

Here's video of the VT's on my car when I was running dumps with the microphone tucked under the console on top of the trans tunnel.

Dynomax VT - YouTube

The only other guaran-damn-teed way to totally eliminate drone is to install 1/4-wave cancellation tubes somewhere on each side of the exhaust system, which I did on my magnaflow-equipped G8 GT with miraculous results.

Last edited:
Yes, Dynomax VT's kick ass. Everybody's got this recipe and that recipe that supposedly don't drone. They're all full of **** IMO :D I've been through every goddamned muffler in the universal catalog of mufflers, and they ALL drone, except the VT's, and the reason is the valve they have inside them. At idle and part-throtte cruise, the valve stays closed and the gases and sound are routed through the whole muffler, drone-free. I drove my car to work this morning and was reminded that the damned thing is as quiet as a cadillac all through the normal Drone Zone and beyond. But get on it hard, and the valve opens up, and they let the song of our people sing loud and clear.

The only other guaran-damn-teed way to totally eliminate drone is to install 1/4-wave cancellation tubes somewhere on each side of the exhaust system, which I did on my magnaflow-equipped G8 GT with miraculous results.
I remember seeing your previous post on the drone cancellation tubes. Would your repost it for the benefit of those who missed out?

It's a really long thread but lots of tech and pictures. Exhaust Drone is Completely Gone - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Here's the results from my Magnaflowed G8. It droned like crazy at around 1900 RPM, as seen by this screen shot from a sound meter app on my iphone. That big hump in the 125hz range is the drone:

Oldnopipesjpg.jpg

I did the 1/4-wave tubes and the difference is huge. I don't have any sound files, but the meter tells the story: Same RPM, same stretch of road, same time of day. Look how much smaller that hump is, and look how many fewer decibels it's reading:

Newpipesjpg.jpg

The drone has been virtually eliminated, and I'm a happy camper.

Attachments

• Oldnopipesjpg.jpg
    Oldnopipesjpg.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Newpipesjpg.jpg
    Newpipesjpg.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 241
@MFE92

Supposedly every 3 db. drop reduces the sound level by half.

Example:
Sound level 100 reduce by 3 db.
New sound level is 50

Sound level 50 reduce by 3 db.
New sound level is 25

Sound level 25 reduce by 3 db.
New sound level is 12.5

With that in mind, your almost 10 db. drop is a tremendous difference