Has Anyone Seen My Pintle Caps???

I'm building a 73 convertible restomod, using the interior and drivetrain from a "90 LX (before you throw stones at me, it is a PA total loss title and yes, the car is bent). Motor ran great 3 years ago before I ripped it out. I put a cam, 24lb injectors, 70MM throttle body and an Explorer manifold on it. Dropped it in the car to check out fit and to see if my wiring works. It ran rough. 3 dead cylinders and a leaking rear seal. No big deal - didn't have it running long enough for the lifters to pump up and I have a new set of roller rockers for it anyway. Sooooo... when I pulled the injectors back out, one pintle cap was completely missing and another looked like mice were eating it. Here's the scary part.... I can't find the parts! Ironically, these two were in the cylinders that were running fine. I did a compression test on all cylinders and all are pulling 155 lbs. I put a shop vac in each intake, exhaust and spark port. Nothing. No debris. Is it possible they got sucked in the cylinder and got spit out through the exhaust? Are the parts melted in the combustion chamber somewhere? Are they hiding in that unknown place where runaway socks from the dryer go? Should I place a picture of them on the side of a milk carton? Anyone have this happen?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the quick reply. The caps were on the injectors when I bought them used. I put new o-rings on them where they seat into the fuel rail. The ones next to the caps seemed to be fine. Lesson learned. I bought new rings and caps and when pulling the old ones off, half of them broke. Hopefully the two made it out the exhaust without damaging anything. I would think if there was an issue, I wouldn't be pulling compression numbers like I am. Now to find the socks...

Reactions: 1 user
They are brittle plastic, they wouldn't match up to a piston or valve, and one they hit the exhaust they would melt into a goo that will break down into carbon and burn off as a gas through the exhaust.

In other words, there gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced some of the caps on my old injectors. Orielly's actually carries a kit with the caps and other rings.

Joe

$2.97 at my local NAPA for two o-rings, a plastic washer and the cap, all in a neat pack. I replaced all of them and should have done so when I had the motor on the stand. It gave me the chance to also bench test the injectors, which I also should have done before installing them (they are used). It is surprising how brittle the old caps were (nearly every one broke) and how pliable the new ones are. Another lesson learned, right up there with "replace the $14 rear main seal when the motor is out of the car, cheapskate".

Reactions: 1 users