Fox Head Gasket Options

krazedstang

15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Streamwood
I have a set of Trick Flow 170's that have been milled down to 55cc. I was wondering if I should use a thicker gasket to make up for it, I'm gonna be using 1.6 roller rockers and a TFS Stage 1 cam. This is for my 88 Vert project.

• Sponsors (?)

Nope just run a Fel pro 9333(if I remember the part number correctly). All you're going to do is bump compression up to around 9.5-9.7:1. I am assuming this is a n/a combo. You'll grab a few extra hp and torque this way. Which also can help with lowend throttle response.

Nope just run a Fel pro 9333(if I remember the part number correctly). All you're going to do is bump compression up to around 9.5-9.7:1. I am assuming this is a n/a combo. You'll grab a few extra hp and torque this way. Which also can help with lowend throttle response.

It is N/A for now, but eventually (next year) I plan on putting some forced induction through it.

Even with some boost you'll be fine. A little extra compression isn't going to hurt you at all. You'll actually make more power with less boost and the extras (throttle response-low end etc) still apply. If you were jumping up to 11-12:1 it would be more of a problem with today's gas. You're fine with that head/gasket combo. The one thing I did just think about though is PTV clearance. I've never ran/checked a TFS1 with milled heads. I still don't think it's a problem but obviously you'll have to check.

Even with some boost you'll be fine. A little extra compression isn't going to hurt you at all. You'll actually make more power with less boost and the extras (throttle response-low end etc) still apply. If you were jumping up to 11-12:1 it would be more of a problem with today's gas. You're fine with that head/gasket combo. The one thing I did just think about though is PTV clearance. I've never ran/checked a TFS1 with milled heads. I still don't think it's a problem but obviously you'll have to check.

Yeah the PTV will definitely be checked before I put the engine in the car, that's the main reason I went with a 1.6 instead of a 1.7, it looks like the Fel pro 9333 is what I'll use.
Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
when you check the PTV, you will torque down a head on the gasket so you will know if the 9333pt1 is thick enough. You should be fine with stock pistons. Those head gaskets are proven to be some of the best and are cheap. I run them on most every fox body I've owned.

Reactions: 1 user