Heaterblower Problem

Mark302

Dec 16, 2014
Hi,
2007 Mustang - Blower works for while on position 1, then stops. (Steady state down the road, ok, but at a stop sign, blower output slows to nothing and will not come back on. Have replaced resistor pack.
Works on positions 2-4.

Is this a blower motor problem or switch problem?

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like it could very well be a bad replacement part. Have you returned the new one?
It sounds like it could very well be a bad replacement part. Have you returned the new one?
Yes - new resistor pack installed. Last one had blown. I let it run on positions 2-4 for a while - no problems. But position 1 slows and stops. Will not restart until I go back to position 2-4.

Yes - new resistor pack installed. Last one had blown. I let it run on positions 2-4 for a while - no problems. But position 1 slows and stops. Will not restart until I go back to position 2-4.

What I meant was: Are you sure that the new one is not bad (I've gotten new bad units from parts store before)? If you've ruled that out then I would look at the motor. Try contact lubricant on the motor (non petroleum).

I rang out the resistor pack. It was ok. I jumpered the connector to check out the switch. It was ok so I ordered a blower motor from rockauto. Using the resistor pack, the blower wont even turn on now when in position 1. My daughter sad the 'fan' had been making a noise which I thought was a leaf. You can hear something when in switch position 2.

Still could be the resistor pack. When you check it, you can't check what happens under load when heat builds up. Fan is possible too of course, it may now require more current the position one delivers.

Awesome! Mine blows out a resistor pack about once a year. The fan makes noise on COLD mornings for about a block and a half. So I'm sure if I change mine, the noise will go away (of course), and I would likely stop blowing resistor packs. Thanks for the update!