Heidts Mustang Ii Info And 429/460 Swap

Fosixty

Jul 26, 2016
hey guys, I have a 68 coupe that I will be installing a heidts mustang II kit in. Will also be doing some other chassis mods to strengthen as well as a roll cage. I have read plenty of threads about why or why not to do the mII kit but I think it's my best option and I would like plenty of room to house my 385 series 532 stroker we are building. I am only 17 years old so I don't have a lot of experience but I have my dad to fall back on. I will be doing all the work I can myself but will ask for help from my dad or forum members when needed. This will not be a daily driver but more of a cruise night car and maybe a car show or two along with an occasional drag race.

For anyone with experience with a heidts kit I would like to know if you had any trouble fitting a c6 into the stock trans tunnel?

Any luck getting off the shelf headers to fit?

Did you do a drop spindle or regular spindle ? And your thoughts on that.

What did u do as far as motor mounts and does your motor fit under a stock hood?

Thanks so much!

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't use the heidts mustang II kit. But I did put 385 series block with C6 in a 67 mustang when I was 16. It was my first car. I used engine adaptor mounts from AutoKraft. I also used there C6 engine mount. I didn't have any issue with the transmission and the tunnel. Finding a C6 linkage from a floor shift is hard most C6 were column shift. So the linkage on the car need to be shortened to work. The engine does fit under the stock hood with a low manifold and a Holley 750 4Barrel. If you go with any rise on manifold you will need a scope. I started with Holley and have moved to 4 Weber 2 barrels. I went with a modified to fit on stock 1967/1968 mustang 68 shelby GT350/500 hood as it has the scopes out front and rise earlier then other hoods. Other issue to watch is the distributor as the stock 67/68 hood has a cross brace near the distributor it clears, but not by much and you need 90deg ends on plug wires at distributor. I switch to non power brakes as well this frees up a ton of space on the drivers side to get to plug, wires and valve cover bolts. AutoKrafters and other make headers, but I don't know if they clear your mustang II kit on the bottom side. Anyway, good luck.

A big block C6 will probably have a few issues fitting into a 68 because the bell housing is taller than a small block C6 .
A few modifications will probably be needed right at the front of the trany tunnel .

not necessarily, remember in 67 the 390 came in the mustang, and many were backed by the C6 trans.

OP, you shouldnt need to cut up the car to install the 460 in your 68, again because these cars came with the brawny shouldered FE motors.

If you have a 68....you don't need a MII suspension to fit a big block...it gives you no advantage except for maybe more header room. Big blocks and C6s came as a factory option from 67+. Is there a real reason you want to cut out the shock towers and go with a suspension that is known to slip alignment under hard cornering? Honestly, if headers are your only concern....its really not that difficult to build a custom set(though it is time consuming...mine took me about 30 hours or so, but I started from scratch, you can buy a kit for what you need)