Hello all....few Qs

SitDown

Founding Member
Mar 3, 2001
Chicagoland
Well im new to the classics and will likely be in here daily with a barrage of Questions so i thought id introduce myself...

Ive owned my money pit fox body for ~7yrs now and just recently purchased a 65 fastback off my father. It was a gift we got him several yrs back which he lost interest in, and ive decided to purchase to replace the LX. ill be taking most of the drivetrian from my 89 and selling it to go full boar on the 65... heres a shot of it, needs some body love but is rust free and sports some nice stuff already: strange 9" with locker, 4piston front brakes, vette rear brakes, eiback springs, fuel cell, oil cooler...

103-0392_IMG.JPG

My Qs...

Steering: the manual steering is awful. I run a flaming river manual rack in my 89 with big 245 tires and the 65's manual box is 3x worse with puny 215 tires. Im not sure if this is a 19:1 or a 16:1, but nonetheless id like to put a 16:1 power unit in, does anyone know what code i should be looking for?

Brakes: i think my brakes should be more than sufficient, just curious about them. They are a huge 4 piston caliper, is this a standard GT caliper? i plan to put a power booster on as they are manual as well right now and want to know what im working with.

Headers: There was a 302 in the car originally and there were some funky 2 piece headers in there, well ive lost those since. what LT headers do ppl typically run in these with a 302. my 331 will be making just under 400rwhp NA so id really want something that will flow, id prefer a 1 3/4, but it is mighty tight in there and i dotn want to drop a mint of custom headers.

dont want to smother you guys, so ill hold off...but any advice you have id greatly appreciate. The info avail to these cars is harder to come by than the fox bodys

Thanks

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

its good you introduced yourself, welcome to the site!

as for the questions, you really need to put them in the tech area if you want answers. if you want more individual attention, break them up into indivudal posts. just a couple tips. good luck with the answers.

well i want to say one thing here just because i noticed you were running the flaming river manual rack on the fox. flaming river makes a manual rack for the early stangs as well but DO NOT get that rack, it is worthless. it is a pain to install on a car with any kind of headers and the cradles they sell often are either too wide or too narrow (quality control or 30 year old chassis i don't know) they also use an end take off rack which doen't work for an early stang. the flaming river gear boxes seem to be pretty damn good though from most accounts. i would look at the flaming river gearbox or a rack and pinion from another company like www.randallsrack.com or www.speeddirect.com unless you have the money for a TCP unit, if you can even get one right now.

brakes: the 65-66 used 4 piston kelsey hayes discs stock, but many people have converted over the years to what the T/A bosses used which was a 65-66 t-bird or 68-69 lincoln calipers and 12" 68 LTD rotors.you can measure the rotor diameter to tell pretty quickly stock is 11" and the T/A boss style is 12"

headers: if you want a 1-3/4" LT check into some hooker super comps, i think they still make them in that size for the 65-66 cars

like sg69 said you'll get a better response if you post in the tech section. good luck and keep us posted on the progress

Thanks guys, ill post up in the tech section. Also thanks for the heads up on the flaming river unit, i was looking at that today. Its getting scary how much i may have to drop to get the power steering underway...