HELP! Coolant light comes on at startup

Mr_Q

Founding Member
Nov 5, 2002
Burbank, CA
Anyone have any ideas?

My car has always run hot, especially in the summer with A/C. Now my coolant light comes on for about 1min whenever I first start the car. It only does it when the car's motor is cold from sitting overnight.

I know I prolly need to replace something but any idea what? Start with thermostat and then keep moving on?

Thanks.

P.S. Flushed the rad about a year ago and put some water wetter in.

• Sponsors (?)

well mine did that do. it was the float sensor inside the coolant tank above the radiatior. It was getting stuck on the bottom of the tank of it would not float anymore . so i tryed messing with to try to get to float. That did not work so i took off the tank and took a srewdriver and took the float sensor out I just have to watch if the coolant is low every now and then. I don't know if ford sells just that piece which i don't think they do so you can either take it out or go get a new tank thing. Make sure you have no leaks and it is filled up with coolant. hopes this helps :)

"jeff1414" is correct. Small amounts of 'crud' in the reservoir will cause the float to hang up. The reservoir needs to be flushed out and refilled with fresh coolant (should be done with a complete coolant system flush/refill). Clean the float thoroughly and it should work fine.

As for the engine being overly hot, you may want to use a garden hose to flush junk from the fins of the radiator. You will be surprised at the stuff that gets caught in there (a lot of bugs and bits of leaves). Also, you can try a 180 degree thermostat but you really need to have the fan come on earlier (lower temperature) than originally programmed. This can be done with a chip or PCM reflash.