Help!! Flywheel bolts!!

Skud

Sep 10, 2003
Saskatchewan
OK, so I'm doing an 11" to 10.5" conversion at the same time as the motor is out. I have a Fidanza Al flywheel which has the holes for both an 11" and 10.5" pressure plate. The clutch/PP combo is a custom unit from Promotion Powertrain and it's a 10.5" unit.

The problem is that the bolts on the flywheel for the 10.5" clutch are smaller. They look like 1/2" bolts vs. the 5/8" ones that are stock. The stock ford pressure plate bolts do fit into the Fidanza flywheel for what would be an 11" pressure plate.

I bought a set of ARP Ford Pressure plate bolts and while they are the right size, I think they're the wrong thread pitch. They make a couple of clean turns into the flywheel and then things get real tight.

Does anyone know what the proper bolts are for putting a 10.5" setup on a Fidanza flywheel?

Thanks!!
Riley

• Sponsors (?)

Allright, so I did find out what bolt DOES fit..

I have a set of stage 8 header bolts and they are the correct size. They thread cleanly all the way through the flywheel. It's definitely a thread pitch issue. The header bolts are fine pitch and the ARP pressure plate bolts I have now are coarse.

So, does anyone know what FORD (or ARP) bolts will fit?

Riley

Allright, I'm going to answer my own question. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

1) On the Fidanza flywheels there are two sets of holes:
- One is for an 11" clutch/PP. These holes are what LOOK to be 5/16.
- One is for a 10.5" clutch/PP. These holes ARE 8mm with a 1.25 pitch.

2) There are only two bolt packages I can find:
- FMS-M-6397-A302 is a Ford Motorsports package that comes with 6 bolts/washers and three dowels.
- ARP-108-2202 is an ARP kit that appears to be for a honda clutch/PP. They are still 8mm x 1.25 though. You get 9 bolts/washers. I have no idea if these would work.

So, it appears APR does NOT make the proper bolts for this and this is REALLY weird because some sites list FMS-M-6397-A302 as the correct bolt for up to the year 2000 with a 10.5" clutch. If I recall correctly, ALL mustangs had a 10.5" clutch until ~2001 when they switched to the TR-3650 and 11" clutch right?

I would think ARP would make a bolt for a clutch/PP package that spanned 10 years..

EDIT: I take it back.. Apparently ARP has a "NEW" item (ARP-150-2202) That is a 8mm x 1.25 bolt for Ford. Summit lists a ship date of 11/28/2007 though .. :(

Riley