Help me decide..

The Brahma Bull

Founding Member
Aug 20, 2001
North Carolina
So today at work I pick up a copy of our company's store newsletter. And while flipping through I notice this nice article about how we are paired with Ford and get a discount. So I'm thinking alright cool, I'll cruise to the lot and see how much I can get off. So I start talking to the guy and he asks what I'm looking for. I say F-150 or F-250. So we check em out and I suddenly realize, trucks are DAMN expensive. So then I mention Mustangs. We start checkin out Mustang GT's and such and come across this awesome Sonic Blue GT. Bullit accesories, 17" premium wheels, auto (sadly), leather, and a Mach 1000 sound system. Sticker says $29,225. :bang: But I ask to drive it anyway, guy agree's without a question. So my friends get in the back and the salesman gets in the side. We drive off on our 15 minute test drive. I love this car. Its got good power and the sound system just all around OWNS. I want this car, so when we get back I ask him to work numbers with rebates and the discount. 5 minutes later he comes back with the price.

$22,851.

I want this car..and thats a INSANE price for a brand new car. But..its gonna eat me in insurance. Suggestions...please....anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

The Brahma Bull said:
So today at work I pick up a copy of our company's store newsletter. And while flipping through I notice this nice article about how we are paired with Ford and get a discount. So I'm thinking alright cool, I'll cruise to the lot and see how much I can get off. So I start talking to the guy and he asks what I'm looking for. I say F-150 or F-250. So we check em out and I suddenly realize, trucks are DAMN expensive. So then I mention Mustangs. We start checkin out Mustang GT's and such and come across this awesome Sonic Blue GT. Bullit accesories, 17" premium wheels, auto (sadly), leather, and a Mach 1000 sound system. Sticker says $29,225. :bang: But I ask to drive it anyway, guy agree's without a question. So my friends get in the back and the salesman gets in the side. We drive off on our 15 minute test drive. I love this car. Its got good power and the sound system just all around OWNS. I want this car, so when we get back I ask him to work numbers with rebates and the discount. 5 minutes later he comes back with the price.

$22,851.

I want this car..and thats a INSANE price for a brand new car. But..its gonna eat me in insurance. Suggestions...please....anyone?

This question is tricky. You have to make sure you aren't getting in over your head on insurance. When I got my 01 GT, I was paying $550 a month for the payment. I figured, "Well, that's pretty high but I can cover it fairly easily." Then my insurance checked in with $475 a month for full coverage with a clean record. Now I'm thinking, "That's it, I'm screwed." I have mixed feelings about your question though. I mean, on one hand you'd have more power and a new car. On the other, that's all you'd have b/c you're gonna be forking out some serious cash every month towards car payments and insurance, not to mention gas prices. It's a 50-50 trade off. IF it was me, I'd probably keep the V6. For only 60 more horsepower, I don't feel the GT is worth it. Now, if you had found a used Trans-Am WS-6 or something for that price, I'd say go for it no question. There's my $.02 :flag: :nice:

60 extra horses? Ha, try 110. I have a 95.

And I checked on Progressive and I'd be paying around $350 a month in insurance..and prolly around that in car payments. I could do that because I do bring in around $750 every two weeks....but eh.

nobody here can really help you with this dude. Just weight it out...how much do you have left over now? and how much would you have left over? You'll be spending more on gas, bigger tires which will cost you more when you need to change them. How much do you drive?
I dug myself in a whole getting my stang, i'm happy with it, but honestly, I wouldn't mind giving it up and lowering my payments. If you spend TOO much, you'll be happy at first, but you might regret it later on.
Plus it isn't what you REALLY want, when you said it was an auto you said "sadly" so in the long run you'll be paying A LOT for something that you even though you want it sooo badly now, it isn't 100% what you really want.

Sounds good except for the auto :notnice: ....if you can afford it and you love it...give it a few days. If you still feel the same do it, don't be too impulsive. I know when I go to the dealership I end up doing the same. I almost bought a GT the other day and my 6 isn't paid for yet! :nonono:

Here's what you should do...

1) Fly down to Tampa
2) Go to Brandon Ford
3) Decide which of their 295 Mustangs (no exaggerations, thats how many they have in stock right now) that you want and therefore get EXACTLY what you want- i.e. no automatic.
4) Pay $3000 LESS than what you would where you live.
5) Cruise home to NC knowing you got an awesome deal and the exact car that you wanted.

Don't believe you could do it? Brandon Ford Halfway down, they are selling FULLY LOADED GT's for 19995. No fine print, I promise. My family bought a $17,xxx Focus for $9999 from these guys. $7000 off of a 17k car!!! Anyway. If I were you , thats what I would do.

Either do what i4power said, or make that trip. I've heard good things about the dealership that 5-Speed mentioned, and I live in NY!

As far as the insurance goes, put the car in your parent's name as well as the insurance, and have you as an authorized driver.

Sometimes using the same insurance company as your parents do, for their house and auto's will help you get a reduced rate becasue of "family discount."

I had my mother's new car and my Mustang all in my name once, using her Allstate agent, and with a $250 deductible on both our vehicles, I paid/pay $75/mo. while my mother paid $50/mo. for full coverage on both, and neither of us have had any moving violations.

I can understand why insurance may be so high for you as far as the insurer's perspective, but can also understand your point as well. See if your parents would put the car in their name as well as the insurance in order to help you out.