Help Me Design My Garage

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
I’m in process of designing a large garage, which will serve primarily as an automotive restoration workshop. I am currently clearing land and making a topographical property map. I’m making the initial concept drawings on CAD. The drawings and ideas will be submitted to an architect for finalization. I am interested in dedicating 1 bay as a paint booth and maybe another area for sand/media blasting (though I admittedly have no experience with it). Since my property is sloped, I have 2 possible layouts.

The first option is a rather unique, 40’ x 28’, 2 story 6 bay garage design. 3 bays on top accessed from the front and 3 bays on the bottom accessed from the back. Due to the slope of my property (drainage considerations), the ceiling height of the lower level can not exceed 12’. Obviously the floor of the top story will need some serious support.

The second option is a single level 48’ x 40’, 3 bays in front, 1 bay access on the rear side. The appeal of this one is the large amount of space it provides on 1 level.

I’m looking for any creative thoughts and ideas that I may want to consider during this process. Feel free to think “out of the box”.

Thanks

edit - my property doesn't "slop", it "slopes".

• Sponsors (?)

Single level is best.

It really sucks going up and down a bunch of stairs to use different equipment/tools. Especially while lugging heavy parts.

Consider setting up one of the bays for media blasting only. Another for paint.

Platonic Solid said:
I’m in process of designing a large garage, which will serve primarily as an automotive restoration workshop. I am currently clearing land and making a topographical property map. I’m making the initial concept drawings on CAD. The drawings and ideas will be submitted to an architect for finalization. I am interested in dedicating 1 bay as a paint booth and maybe another area for sand/media blasting (though I admittedly have no experience with it). Since my property is sloped, I have 2 possible layouts.

The first option is a rather unique, 40’ x 28’, 2 story 6 bay garage design. 3 bays on top accessed from the front and 3 bays on the bottom accessed from the back. Due to the slop of my property (drainage considerations), the ceiling height of the lower level can not exceed 12’. Obviously the floor of the top story will need some serious support.

The second option is a single level 48’ x 40’, 3 bays in front, 1 bay access on the rear side. The appeal of this one is the large amount of space it provides on 1 level.

I’m looking for any creative thoughts and ideas that I may want to consider during this process. Feel free to think “out of the box”.

Thanks

Is this a Hobby shop or commercial? And what experience do you have with restoring cars?

Your obviously a homeowner, where is the lawn mower,tractor,yard tools, do you do woodworking?

2nd Mustang said:
Do you have a significant other? Wait till they see this as a large storage building! You're a lucky person, I get to shuffle three cars with a one car garage. :notnice:

Sounds like a great project, good luck.

The significant other is not allowed in the shop. I built her a nice house that she filled, the shop is mine :D

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Single level is best.

It really sucks going up and down a bunch of stairs to use different equipment/tools. Especially while lugging heavy parts.

Consider setting up one of the bays for media blasting only. Another for paint.

Good point about the stairs. I hadn't thought of that.

Since I've never done media blasting, what special features, if any should I be incorporating into that bay?

WORTH said:
Is this a Hobby shop or commercial? And what experience do you have with restoring cars?

Your obviously a homeowner, where is the lawn mower,tractor,yard tools, do you do woodworking?

Serious Hobby Shop. Experience? - Enough to know that this hobby takes a heck of a lot of time, money, space and patience (been playing with Mustangs for 20+ years). All my skills could use improvement, but I love learning, building and restoring (that's why it's a hobby.) I either need to get serious about this or get rid of the 5 mustangs and boatload of parts that I currently own (and that's not an option in my book).

I have a 2 car garage now. 1 bay is dedicated to woodworking machinery and parts storage. The other is housing the 73 Mach1.

I will want to store the lawn tractor and mower somewhere (currently under a tarp under the deck). Maybe an adjacent outbuilding is in order.

2nd Mustang said:
Do you have a significant other? Wait till they see this as a large storage building! You're a lucky person, I get to shuffle three cars with a one car garage.

My g/f lives with me, but it's my house - my debt. One of the challenges will be to try to keep it from looking like a wearhouse.

65stanger said:
Ceiling high enough to accomodate a lift! Plumb the entire building for air, with quik disconnects every 5' - 6' in all bays, and big wally johnson compressor!

I've done some research and found the minimum ceiling height for a lift is 12'1". Yes, Air is a must, along with lots of 120V 20A outlets and a few 220Vs and lots of lighting.

Hmmm...I have a thought. Since the front of my property is higher than the back, I could still do the 2 story garage idea, but only use the top 3 bays for regular vehicle storage (thus the top would be 24' X 40'), then extend the rear roofline down to create a lower story workshop that would be maybe 40' x 40'. (Hope this makes sense) That would give me a cathedral cieling effect in the rear 16' of the lower level (good place for a lift).

edit: On second thought 16' isn't deep enough. I'll play with a sketch and post a pic if I can make it work.

65stanger said:
Don't you mean "Closet/Gutter broken"? And I've quit shedding too!;):D

DON'T FORGET THE HEAT! It's gotta be heated!

I haven't done the pricing research on heating yet. Though I'd love to do hot water in the floor, I suspect that's getting a tad carried away. I figure one of those cieling/wall mounted hot-air oil furnaces should do the trick.

Hmmm...offering yourself up for adoption 2nd Mustang?...hmmm...older son capable of free hard labor...Let's talk :D

Plat- Email me a sketch of what you'd like (napkin sketch) a quick sketch of the property dimensions and layout, a little more detailed list of the things you want in it and I'll draw up a couple ideas for ya. I've been doing CAD work for almost 9 years and have 2 years experiance in architectural design and 5 years of planting/irrigation/ and light structural design. I can probably get you a couple ideas nicely down on paper.

oboebrian said:
Plat- Email me a sketch of what you'd like (napkin sketch) a quick sketch of the property dimensions and layout, a little more detailed list of the things you want in it and I'll draw up a couple ideas for ya. I've been doing CAD work for almost 9 years and have 2 years experiance in architectural design and 5 years of planting/irrigation/ and light structural design. I can probably get you a couple ideas nicely down on paper.

I'll see what I can put together. I've been doing CAD work (mechanical design) for 15 years, but have no architectural design experience. I'm designing on Acad 2000, will that format work for you? I'm not quite done with the topographical map yet (Yes, it's in 3D.). Measuring the property is rather time consuming. I spent the last 2 weekends clearing pricker bushes and vines so I can get accurate measurements. I'll try to finish it up tomorrow (weather permitting) and then send you a dwg file to review. Thanks!

Ventillation! Big ventillation fans. You can never have enough ventillation.

Also, a buddy of mine couldn't build high enough for a lift, so he made a "dug out" bay. There are 2 metal "tracks" that cross over a hole (dug out). It is actually easier to use than a lift. Drive the car on and walk down the stairs to get underneath the car. The 2 metal tracks are adjustable side to side (for different vehicles. It also makes it a snap to work on vehicles that can't be put on a lift (RVs, big 4x4s, etc). We call it the "Golden Gate Bay" because the tracks are like a bridge.

gp001 said:
Ventillation! Big ventillation fans. You can never have enough ventillation.

Also, a buddy of mine couldn't build high enough for a lift, so he made a "dug out" bay. There are 2 metal "tracks" that cross over a hole (dug out). It is actually easier to use than a lift. Drive the car on and walk down the stairs to get underneath the car. The 2 metal tracks are adjustable side to side (for different vehicles. It also makes it a snap to work on vehicles that can't be put on a lift (RVs, big 4x4s, etc). We call it the "Golden Gate Bay" because the tracks are like a bridge.

I could do something like that on the top story and have a raised platform on the bottom story. Just thinking out loud, the platform's height could somehow be adjustable. So instead of raising and lowering the car, I'd be raising and lowering me.