Help With Ac Issue Please!

Vr00mVr00m

May 11, 2016
Hey guys, new here. I've been running around in very hot circles with my AC lately. There's a TL;DR with videos at the end.

I'm 18, and money is tight, especially for a $1,000 compressor job. That's several months work at my part time job, and I'd like that money to go towards other things, like fixing my parking brake and tires. I'm trying to eliminate literally everything before I go with the bad compressor. Even then, ill be holding off on it for as long as i can. I'm also new to mechanic stuff, so I'm kinda suffering with my own ignorance.

Anyways, I have a 05 mustang 4.0L V6. It's a 5-speed and my first car. I love it to death, and I try and keep it clean. Starting in the winter, I started getting a whine. Yadda yadda, long story, it's my AC. The whine is definitely my AC in someway. I've used the screwdriver sound trick, and it's from that location. The noise is really only noticeable when the AC clutch is engaged. The AC blows perfectly cold and hot, its just noisey.
You can hear it cycle. The whining sound is very close to a super charger, and I believe it's a bearing. Its volume changes with my speed too, like it's loudest in 1st, then slightly there in 2nd, and nonexistent after. I haven't been using my AC much in fear of a bearing seizing. I've taken it to several shops and given incomplete answers, and different answers. So I've started it myself. I've replaced the clutch hub and shim + a significant amount of WD40 (will be using grease next time? need to research this..). The noise was quieter after this, but came back right after.

I want to do the clutch pulley next, as I have a used compressor sitting around, but I don't want to swap it since it has a higher mileage. I'm just using it to swap a few basic parts to see if it does any change (ie the hub and shim). However I only have a rough idea of how to change the pulley, and I don't want to mess up my car.

TL;DR
- AC whines when the clutch is engaged
- AC doesn't whine when on, but clutch isn't engaged
- Can hear it cycle
- Audible at idle, and 1st gear. Less so in 2nd, and I can't hear it in 3rd. I assume it relates to speed
- Noise increases with RPM
- Noise is akin to a super charger
- Hub and shim were replaced with some WD40, and it quieted it for a day (was still present though)
- AC blows perfectly cold, and can quickly go hot when I want it. It runs fine, just noisey

Video:

View: https://youtu.be/5IIJXoHZLc0

View: https://youtu.be/5p69Dcb7-ww

• Sponsors (?)