Help With Caliper Issue

Jair633

Sep 9, 2014
Hi, I have a 2001 Mustang Bullitt. My left rear caliper has been having issues. The outside pad has worn down and ruined my rotor, however the pad closest to the brake piston is still very well padded. My question is, what would be the difference between seized sliding pins and a bad caliper? How do I know my pin is seized? I had a bit of trouble unscrewing the screw that is screwed into the pin. Please help

• Sponsors (?)

If you disassemble the rear brakes it will be obvious if the slid pins have galled to the bracket. IE, unless the slid pins move FREELY, they are galled. This problem is very common on the Mustang.

The reason you have having problems removing the slid pin bolt is that normally some "loctite" thread locker is used on these bolts. Eat your Wheaties and use a good wrench and it will come off.

Regarding a caliper problem. When new pads are installed, it's necessary to compress the pistons. The Mustang uses a special tool to turn the piston in order to compress it. Open the bleeder screw and turn the pistons. IF they are hard to turn or they turn multiple times without compressing, then the calipers are bad.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I'd just replace the calipers on both sides. Being that it is a Bullitt is it a different brake set-up than a GT? You could try re-greasing the pins and see if that helps.