Help With Pre Detenation - 2001 Mustang?

Primed GT

Jan 4, 2016
Hey guys, I bought this 2001 mustang gt
(First car owned) and ive had some problems with it. When i got it the car was running extremely rich. Im thinking it had to have been like that for a while. I tracked the problem down to tha transmision swap that was done on the car before i got my hands on it.
They switched from auto to manual, but only switched the tranny and not the ecu. I baught the ecu and the car no longer runs rich. The problem is though, that when the car gets hots, it starts pre-detonating. I thought it was carbon build up That was causing the fuel mixture to detonate before time, but ive seafoamed it several times to clean out the carbon somewhat. The problem still exists though.
I am getting a few error codes
P1000
P0330
P0452
P0325
P0602
The P0330 i believe is for a knock sensor which would explain the timing issue, however, the sohc 4.6 does not have a knock sensor according to what ive found online. Im really not sure how to go on about fixing this.
Ive pulled the spark plugs several times and they have no carbon on them (aside from the first time i pulled them right after the ecu changing). They are clean now and as far as i can tell, healthy spark plugs (recently changed)
I do have a bama hand held tuner so i could adjust the timing myself somewhat but i dont have experience with that so id rather not.
If you have any advice i could really use it right now, im stumped with the whole knock sensor situation.

• Sponsors (?)

The Bama tunes from my experience are not the best tunes. You should pull 3 degrees off the global timing. Drive it and see if it helped or not. If it still does the pinging pull 5 degrees off the global spark. Thats what I have had to do to keep my Mustang from spark knocking with bama tunes. I intend on getting a professional tune sometime soon and I suggest that you do as well.

One thing you can also do is make sure your tune is on the correct one with the gas that is in the tank. YOu may have it on 93 setting while you have 87 octane in the tank. Another thing you can do is put higher octane fuel in there and run on the 87 tune. Hope this helps you in some way.

The Bama tunes from my experience are not the best tunes. You should pull 3 degrees off the global timing. Drive it and see if it helped or not. If it still does the pinging pull 5 degrees off the global spark. Thats what I have had to do to keep my Mustang from spark knocking with bama tunes. I intend on getting a professional tune sometime soon and I suggest that you do as well.

One thing you can also do is make sure your tune is on the correct one with the gas that is in the tank. YOu may have it on 93 setting while you have 87 octane in the tank. Another thing you can do is put higher octane fuel in there and run on the 87 tune. Hope this helps you in some way.

Hmmm my car was doing this even before the tune, but i will try it anyways, i also am positive i am running the correct octane fuel. The car only does this when its at operating temperature so i really dont know what it could be. Ill try pulling back the spark a few degrees and see if that helps, thank you.

Did pulling spark off the timing help any?
No it didn't. I got a look into the pistons and they are full of carbon. So im sure thats what the problem is. I dont want to take the engine apart to remove the carbon. Seafoam hasnt helped at all. There is quite a bit of it as well. It looks pretty stuck onto the piston. Im not sure it mopars combustion chamber cleaner will do anything.

No it didn't. I got a look into the pistons and they are full of carbon. So im sure thats what the problem is. I dont want to take the engine apart to remove the carbon. Seafoam hasnt helped at all. There is quite a bit of it as well. It looks pretty stuck onto the piston. Im not sure it mopars combustion chamber cleaner will do anything.

Try running seafoam through the vacuum line so that it can get in the combustion chambers to clean all the :poo: out. I did it to my 03 and it did help. You will know it works when you see all the smoke coming out of your tailpipes for a good 5 minutes. If you have never done it that way I highly suggest it. It is better than running it through the gas tank.

Try running seafoam through the vacuum line so that it can get in the combustion chambers to clean all the **** out. I did it to my 03 and it did help. You will know it works when you see all the smoke coming out of your tailpipes for a good 5 minutes. If you have never done it that way I highly suggest it. It is better than running it through the gas tank.
Ive put seafoam through the vacuum like several times.and i always get allot of smoke. But then i look back inside the chamber and it looks exactly the same.