Help With Rpm Blip?

Ian Ranchero

Jul 5, 2015
Longmont Co
Ok guys I am going to try to the best of my ability to describe what is going on with my RPMs. The only real words I can think of is a blip or a every 2 second tug. Its very quick every 2 - 3 seconds. I have the throttle correction plate on my IAC because when I bought the car it don't want to start until about 8 tries. Since then most all sensors have been changed. A pro shop in Loveland tuned it and put in a new chip. I thought I may have a fouled spark plug so I changed all of the the other day and still happening and getting slightly worse. I have checked timing multiple times the proper way by disconnecting the spout connector first. question I am asking myself are #1 is there something electrical pulling on it? #2 Could this be a sign of the dizzy going bad? #3 how in the hell do I figure this out. I have spent so much money at the shop getting this car running I would love to figure this out on my own. I'm in Longmont CO if anyone is close and has Ideas or would like to check it out. I'm going give it a few more days then back to the shop. thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 159,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Thanks for the info. I have read through this before however the BLIP in rpm I and describing goes down. It not a surge. its a small quick tug. I have no idea where to even start.
The checklist covers all type of idle problems, not just surges or stalls.

A far as where to start, all checklist procedures start at the top and work down through each step. Don't skip a step because that might be just what you need to find and fix the problem. That insures that nothing gets missed.