Here Is A Good One - What Happens With A Tune On Different Modes

NJBob

Dec 18, 2014
NJ
I have been researching buying the SCT X4 as my next mod, but I saw an interesting question. What happens when you do a Tune, and you change from Normal to Sport or Track?

Any thought's?

• Sponsors (?)

I personally have noticed no appreciable difference in the tune when switching between driving modes. When on the dyno we used several different modes to ensure that there were no changes in a/f ratio from one to the next. Being an automatic, the transmission is most affected by the mode change. I have no experience as far as the manual transmission goes but would imagine that the results will be the same.

The only thing that I think I notice with a stick is that it seems like it kind of holds the rpms higher through shifting. That, and the traction control is reduced a good amount. Possibly raises the redline, too.

I would also like to know the answer to this. According to a couple of reviews, of the 2015 Mustang GT, Race Mode not only turns off the traction control but changes the engine parameters. So that tells me that the computer is telling the engine to run a certain way in one mode and another in race mode. So would I have to get a tune for each mode especially if I do some serious modifications?

I have been researching buying the SCT X4 as my next mod, but I saw an interesting question. What happens when you do a Tune, and you change from Normal to Sport or Track?

Any thought's?

I just got a response from the Vendor

• One tune will work with each mode. So you do not need to have a individual tune for each mode. Those different modes do not change the tuning with the actual computer and all that, they just stiffen up the steering, turn traction off, help throttle response and things like that. The SCT tune will still work fine in each of those modes.

How about on stock automatic, the shift firmness changes from normal to sport to track mode. When tuned, will the tune shift firmness be in normal then the other modes will be firmer, or once tued then it will be the same across all modes because the tu ing erases the other modes? Is it possible to get a tune package the will increase in agressiveness as you select the mode? Or even better the normal mode a mpg tune, the sport mode a syreet tune and track a race tune? Any tuners can shed some light?

How about on stock automatic, the shift firmness changes from normal to sport to track mode. When tuned, will the tune shift firmness be in normal then the other modes will be firmer, or once tued then it will be the same across all modes because the tu ing erases the other modes? Is it possible to get a tune package the will increase in agressiveness as you select the mode? Or even better the normal mode a mpg tune, the sport mode a syreet tune and track a race tune? Any tuners can shed some light?
On your automatic car the shift firmness and shift points are the biggest things affected by the modes. You will not be able to have the modes dictate big changes in the tune as far as street to race by switching modes, that will need to be done by loading a new program to the car via the hand held tuner. The modes will still act similarly to how they are from the factory even with a custom tune