High Beams Brighter When Pulled Than When Switched On

DougieD1961

Jun 26, 2016
I've noticed that my headlights are quite a bit brighter when I pull on the light lever to temporarily engage them than when I push the lever to switch the high beams on. Is there a way to modify the wiring so the lights are at the brightest on both situations? I drive in the country a lot, with little ambient light and many deer, and I'd like as much light poured on the roadway as I can get.

Thanks for any help!

DD
'01 Mustang 'vert

• Sponsors (?)

That is because there are two filaments in the bulb. One for low beams and one for high. When you pull it toward you that is the flash feature and lights both filaments at once. Not an easy task to have them operate simultaneously since the switching mechanism is enclosed in the signal switch. You can upgrade the lighting to LED's or HID's or you can add fog lights if you do not have them already.

What he said

When you pull towards you, the low beam and high beam filament are both on. When you push the stalk away from you, the high beam filament comes on, and the low beam filament shuts off until the stalk is returned to it's natural position.

There is a way to modify it, but it will involve digging up wiring diagrams and modifying the wiring in the switch so that it does not turn off the low beam when flipped forward. I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing, so you will pretty much need to pave the way here.

You could use a rely that gets it activation power from the high beam wire at one headlight. Once the relay activates when the high beams are on, you would supply power thru the relay from the battery to the low beam side. This would power both beams plus give you he low beams only for oncoming traffic. I have never done this (do at your own risk) so you would want to check out the part of applying power to the low beam side because that would also put power in the hi/low beam switch from a different direction. I have used this method on other vehicle lights, just not headlights.

Always use caution in doing wiring on a car......

In my wiring, the high beam load is only changed by the low amount needed to activate the relay. The low beam then gets a new supply wire from the battery that is only used when the lights are switched to high. When low beam is needed, it reverts to the original wiring.