Horse Sense -  66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion

Progress Thread Horse Sense - 66 Coupe To Fastback Conversion

• Sponsors (?)

i got the quarters and the back window panel welded in place on old red.the roof brace is held in place by screws for now.the roof is setting in place the fit is right on .i still have to spot weld the bottoms of both quarters but that will not take long. i have to weld the tail panel to the quarters and the back end is done. for such a beat car it sure went together easy. i should have the exterior finished tomorrow evening.
_MG_3558_1.JPG
_MG_3559_1.JPG
_MG_3560_1.JPG
_MG_3561_1.JPG
_MG_3562_1.JPG
_MG_3563_1.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
the out side of old red is finished .i started making the inner pieces. glad i made templates of every thing. laid out the patterns on my sheet of 18 gage sheet metal. a few minuets with the sheet metal shear and they were cut out. i have a few bends on the sheet metal brake tomorrow and they will be ready to weld in.
_MG_3571.JPG
_MG_3572.JPG
_MG_3573.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
_MG_3575.JPG
_MG_3577.JPG
_MG_3580.JPG
_MG_3578.JPG
i bent all of the inner pieces in the sheet metal brake ,welded the drip trays ends and attached the mounting for the inner fiberglass to the drip trays. it is all welded in place and welds are ground. there is still a few welds to grind , and i have to fill in the holes in the door posts for the quarter windows, and attach the rear roof brace to the door posts and this one is ready to go home . i should be able to finish it tomorrow .

Reactions: 1 users
_MG_3581.JPG
_MG_3582.JPG
_MG_3583.JPG
_MG_3584.JPG
_MG_3585.JPG
_MG_3586.JPG
i made the patch pieces for the door jamb and welded them in and ground them smooth. they came out nice, no more quarter window holes. i also made the pieces to attach the roof rear brace to the door post and finished the interior .
just a bit of grinding of a few spot welds and it is finished.

i ordered both new doors and fenders for mine ,going to try out Dynacorns new doors i figure with all i have done it may as well have all new body panels ,though i will stay with my yellow trunk lid because i haven't seen a good trunk lid yet.

Reactions: 1 user
horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

Aug.14 2013

_MG_3606.JPG
_MG_3608.JPG
_MG_3610.JPG
i made the last two brackets to mount the interior fiberglass. i also attached the roof brace to the door post . i bolted the rear valance on to see how it would fit ,drivers side is just about perfect but the pass side needs to be extended about 1/8 inch to get a tight fit . and because sooomebody didn't like my yellow trunk lid i sanded it off:rlaugh:

Read the rest of this update entry...

horse sence updated Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion with a new update entry:

Aug.20 2013 on the rotisserie

_MG_3652.JPG
_MG_3653.JPG
i got it on the rotisserie this morning .took the rear end out all by my self ,that sucker is heavy! the leaf spring bolts are stuck in the leafs of course
so that will be my next project. i have to pull the trunk lid and the doors back off so i can flip it over .i have a small amount of welding under side to do and a bit of fixing around the radio opening and it will be ready to sand blast and prime.

Read the rest of this update entry...

What are you planning for power plant once the body is all together?
i have a 302 block and i will probably use edelbrok heads. a compcams 292 solid lift cam and a gear drive. forged pistons, Eagle rods and 77 clevites rods and main bearings,melling high volume oil pump.not going to stroke this one ,the last one i built this way walked all over my buddies 347 . not sure what intake yet but will have a 700 Holley and a unilite dist. love those old top loaders and i will be narrowing a 9 inch soon with a limlited slip and 3.50 gears ,31 spline with a nodular carrier. the front ,i am going to use the Areo Form coil over kit.