Engine Hose Clamps?

joetrainer31

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
SC
Fellow Stangers,

What size radiator hose clamps do our cars require? Also if you know the size of the other hose clamps (e.g., bypass, heater, etc), please feel free to let me know.

I'm looking for hose clamps that DO NOT back out. This is a frequent irritant for me. The clamps back off just enough to let air into the system, but not enough to let coolant out. Having clamps back off will also cause overheating issues that are hard to find (unless you know about the clamp issue).

I've hear that "Ideal" clamps are great quality. However, I don't want to be disappointed again. I bought special clamps at O'reily that have a bunch of washers on them & are not supposed to back out, but they did anyway.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Never had one back off on me either. Try a T bolt clamp

images (1).jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I usually get the standard 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" screw style clamps. Never had one back out, that is weird.

Kurt
Kurt,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is weird, but I'm having every clamp I've put on these hoses back out over a few months time. It seems silly that I have not been able to get a simple clamp that stays put. Any thoughts on the "Ideal" brand?

I think the Ideal brand is what I use, but I was never under any impression that there was something special about it. To me, Ideal is just a generic hose clamp brand.

Kurt

Another T-bolt clamp vote. Most of them use nyloks. They also don't chew the hose up like screw/worm clamps do. My favorite are the factory clamps. If you have the tool to easily remove them, they're hard to beat, IMHO.