how do i adjust my parking brake cable?

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard of a lot of people trying to adjust the cable or remove the cable and having a lot of issues. Make sure you do your research before you mess with it...

Kilgore Trout said:
I believe that it self adjusts when you drive backwards and mash the brakes a few times.
I thought that settled the star wheel on a set of drum brakes?

I think there's an adjusting nut on the cable under the car that can be tightened to take up the slack in the cable because they can stretch over time.

Hmm, the parking brake on discs is part of the caliper right? I don't know if they adjust the same as drums..

EDIT: After checking HowStuffWorks..

In cars with disc brakes on all four wheels, an emergency brake has to be actuated by a separate mechanism than the primary brakes in case of a total primary brake failure. Most cars use a cable to actuate the emergency brake.
View attachment 474255
Some cars with four-wheel disc brakes have a separate drum brake integrated into the hub of the rear wheels. This drum brake is only for the emergency brake system, and it is actuated only by the cable; it has no hydraulics.

Other cars have a lever that turns a screw, or actuates a cam, which presses the piston of the disc brake.

Drums brakes are some-what self adjusting. There is a star wheel that is adjusted when you back-up and use the brakes. If they do not adjust there is a manual star wheel behind the drums that you car adjust the shoes

We have a cable that we can adjust.....but i dont know where it is.

lets make this a mission to find the cable and take a pic and post it.

This thread comes up a lot, I think it's been decided it is non-adjustable from the factory, but it is possible to force adjustments at the e-brake handle itself.

There are also recalls on some e-brake mechanisms, if yours isnt functioning right take it in to be inspected.

here is what the workshop manual says for cable tension/release, hope this helps

Cable Tension, Release

CAUTION: If any component in the parking brake system requires service or if the rear axle housing (4010) is removed, the cable tension must be released as follows:

Place parking brake control (2780) in released position.

Remove console top panel (044D90). Refer to Section 01-12 .

With an assistant inside vehicle, raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Section 00-02 .

Have another assistant pull parking brake cable and equalizer (2A603) rearward approximately 26-63 mm (1-2 1/2 inches) to rotate self-adjuster reel backward.

CAUTION: Do not remove the steel lockpin until the parking brake rear cable and conduit (2A635) are connected to the parking brake cable and equalizer. Pin removal releases the tension in the ratchet wheel causing the spring to unwind and release tension. If the pin is removed without the parking brake rear cable and conduit attached, the entire assembly must be removed to reset spring tension.

Insert a steel lockpin through holes in lever and parking brake control assembly. This locks ratchet wheel in the cable-released position.

STBusenfileH5188B.gif

Attachments

• STBusenfileH5188B.gif
    STBusenfileH5188B.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 8,935
I would think it would be adjustable because last month i got the cobra rear upgrade (new rotors and calipers) and the e brake is dramatically changed from before. Before the ebrake handle would pull really high and very easily, but now after the new brakes it is super tight and only pulls up 1/3rd of the way it used to and holds a LOT tighter. I used to be able to move the car with it on when i forgot it, but now, it holds the car tight in its spot. I know they didnt install any new lines, but they did something with it to make it work better.:shrug:

my understanding is any adjustment there would be is in the handle and it would be automatic.

there is no adjustment on the cables themselves. there are three cables to the disc brake system the cable fromt the handle and the left and right cables. there is nothing to ajust at the cable junction and the rear calipure.

There are two adjustments, the main one is in the handle but there is a small adjustment inside the calipers.

To adjust the calipers, you must set the parking brake without using the service brake. In other words engage the brake a few times on level ground without touching the brake pedal.

The main adjustment however is inside the handle. There is a pawl that takes up stretch in the cable. It's supposed to be automatic, but if the cable stretches enough it will go out of range and you'll be left with a handle that goes to the 12 o'clock position and barely holds.

Every since Day 1 i've been gentle with my e-brake. I only set it til it grabs and then 1 click more. It's held on the steepest hills.

Mustang5L5 said:
Every since Day 1 i've been gentle with my e-brake. I only set it til it grabs and then 1 click more. It's held on the steepest hills.

Same with me! I do two clicks and always set it no matter what. In my parents old 89 it never got used and when it did people yanked the **** out of it and it didn't hold worth ****.

okay well I go to the bottom of this whole ebrake thing finally.

basically the ebrake handle has a self ajustment range. there is a spring loaded retention mechanicsm that is supposed to take up the slack. the picture above describes how to reset the tentioner but if you still are not holding that proably means one of two things your cables are streached out or there are issues at the calipure.

in my case I pulled the whole housing and was having trouble getting the second cable pulled into the calipure. so all I did was slack the spring tentioner in the handle all the way off and then I was able to pull the cable in place with my fingers.

Not trying to hijack your thread but I have a question on this topic. Does anyone know what exactly the recall is for the parking brake? I have had my car since 98 and haven't taken it in because I hate stealerships ... Anybody know what the recall is all about?