How fast will these beasts be?

fzust said:
I would like to know the issue information on this. There is NO FREAKING WAY. Unless it was dropped out of an airplane. First off, 300HP with a 3450lb car is not going to do 10s unless it has a redickulous short-time which it won't have on stock tires.

My opinion on the GT450 is if they use the 255/45/R19s that are rumored, this heavy pig will do 0-60 in mid-high 4s and 1/4s in high 12s-low 13s. Better rear rubber will help this dramatically.

Like the other guys said FORD GT not mustang GT

Also the current cobra runs high 12's low 13's with 390 and this engine is the same as the ford GT but supposedly running 8.5lbs of boost instead of 12.5

• Sponsors (?)

kystang1889 said:
Like the other guys said FORD GT not mustang GT

Also the current cobra runs high 12's low 13's with 390 and this engine is the same as the ford GT but supposedly running 8.5lbs of boost instead of 12.5

why is it that people say its the SAME engine as the Ford GT, the only similarities are that the're both 5.4L motors with a supercharger. for starters the GT's block is aluminum, and has a dry sump oiling system whereas the cobra will most likely be iron and it will for sure be wet sump. read up on both engines(from whatever information may be out at this point) and you'll find out these two motors are NOT the same.

kystang1889 said:
those are not the only simulatities they are both 4v dohc 5.4's they use the exact same heads supercharger intakes ext. the only diff. as u mention was the alum. and cast iron blocks
I think that may be changing, as a Eaton Roots blower looks set to make it into production know, and as for the heads - well I didn't know Ford had released any stats for them so I don't know.

All that is really known is it is a 5.4 DOHC modular engine with a blower and probably a cast iron block (this is for the produciton variant not the show car).

My guess (based on researched data) and a bold guess is that the engine will produce about 85bhp/litre or about 460bhp. Much more and it would just be getting far too close to the 100bhp/litre of the Ford GT. And there is no way (not matter how much we want them to) that Ford will produce a equal or more powerful performance car for circa $40k when the GT cost 3 times that.

kystang1889 said:
the reason it costs so much right now is because ford just spent tons of money on research and development for the engine thats all done know

i highly doubt they'd charge 40K for a motor if it was only "worth"(according to your logic) around 15-20K, therese a huge discepency.... i'm basing it off the cost of the '03 cobra crate motor... it goes for around 12K, add about 5-8K for it being a 5.4 and you're within '07 cobra motor range(just an educated guess from my part), theres no way they'd charge 28K over an '03 cobra motor just because its a 5.4 aluminum block. no way.

kystang1889 said:
the reason it costs so much right now is because ford just spent tons of money on research and development for the engine thats all done know
I don't reckon thats the whole picture as most of the R&D will be associated with the 5.0 Cammer race engine and the s/c 4.6 Cobras and 5.4 lightenings. Thats the advantage of the modular design.

I think there are 2 polictical reasons why it costs so much.

1. The Ford GT is a very expensive play thing, only likely to be owned by rich peoepl, just like a Ferrari or Lambo. So if they need a new engine in one then they will happily pay stupid prices the same as all the other supercar makers.

2. The other side of the coin, is the DOHC 5.4 twin screww is Fords premier performance engine, being sold ONLY in a very expensive and exclusive supercar. If jo bloggs on the street could buy a crate variant for $10k and slap it in a 5 year old Mustang and get the same performance it would certainly damage the reputation and prices of the GT.

There must be some technical changes and R&D costs to cover, but sadly for us the reason it cost so much is most likely entirly political.

From what I remember the Mustang Cobra's motor is closer to the motor used in pickups then to the Ford GT, but I forget which pickup exactly (be it a lightning or regular F series) Which would mean it would be less expensive to produce because it uses a lot of common high production parts.

MarSaleenMustan said:
i highly doubt they'd charge 40K for a motor if it was only "worth"(according to your logic) around 15-20K, therese a huge discepency.... i'm basing it off the cost of the '03 cobra crate motor... it goes for around 12K, add about 5-8K for it being a 5.4 and you're within '07 cobra motor range(just an educated guess from my part), theres no way they'd charge 28K over an '03 cobra motor just because its a 5.4 aluminum block. no way.
oh yes there is, because people will and I'm sure do pay it.

kystang1889 said:
thats not my logic at all i never said anything about what they were charging or that it was just because of a 5.4 and aluminum block i'm threw with this its like talking to a 3 yr old

haha, i was simply giving my opinion/educated guess, you're the 3 year old for making that coment... what i meant when i said "by your logic" was that you seem to think that the Ford GT motor and the shelby motor are pretty much the same thing other than the aluminum block and oiling system, my point is they're not, there's a lot more than that, thats why i brought up the price of the ford gt motor, that tells you theres a lot more of a difference than you might think... re read my posts, it may make sence to you after reading them again. :shrug:

03 SVT VERT said:
From what I remember the Mustang Cobra's motor is closer to the motor used in pickups then to the Ford GT, but I forget which pickup exactly (be it a lightning or regular F series) Which would mean it would be less expensive to produce because it uses a lot of common high production parts.

exactly, and thats why the ford Gt is more, because there was a lot more put into it other than just throwing an aluminum block and an SC

MarSaleenMustan said:
exactly, and thats why the ford Gt is more, because there was a lot more put into it other than just throwing an aluminum block and an SC

Which is why they charge so much for it b/c of the R/D coletti also said "Do you think we'd spend all this money on R/D and only use it on one car" they are detuneing it so its not the same b/c belive it or not most consumers are not like us, and will not mod there vehicle

kystang1889 said:
Which is why they charge so much for it b/c of the R/D coletti also said "Do you think we'd spend all this money on R/D and only use it on one car" they are detuneing it so its not the same b/c belive it or not most consumers are not like us, and will not mod there vehicle

to be honest no one knows for sure what the cobra will be like as far as the motor goes othere than a supercharged 5.4L, I just dont see Ford putting in a Ford GT motor on the Cobra and thats that, because like i said i do believe its more than just an aluminum/dry sump difference between the two, but i guess we wont know untill the production version is set in stone.

Aerosi665 said:
Echo it's actually not possible for you to spin the left rear tire, the v6 mustang does not come with (at least never has in the past) a traction-lock. This means that all the power from the engine is delivered straight through the 7.5" rear end to only the right (passenger) rear tire.

<-- Used to own a v6.

Yeah, i meant right, lol, sorry, getting my sides confooosed...

and the guys were right, it does go to what ever has the least traction, usually right though, but if you take a sharp left turn, you could get the left rear to spin good...