How Much Nitrous Is Too Much?

I've not used system very much lately but basic wet kit, one fogger nozzle about 3" before throttle body (far as it can be as I've heard that's best?)
I have plenty of fuel and am retarding 2* per 50hp (using online calc.) so far I've went gradually up to a .054N .031F which translates to 132hp with timing retarded at least 1* more than needed and 93 w/oct booster.

I have .063N & .036F but I'm concerned that's too much to spray through the intake like that, it is really smooth with the above stated jets, no missing or anything (stock ignition). I also haven't had an opportunity to kill right after a hit and look at plugs (I really don't know how to "read" them for nos) but they look nice and tan when I do check them, although I know this is not when to "read" them but again I'm making sure to pull plenty of timing.

.063N & .036F comes out to about 185hp......too much??

• Sponsors (?)

Your head gaskets will let you know how much is too much.

Serious- what is your setup- head gaskets, head bolts, iron or alum heads, pistons, block, etc.

150hp is about all I would go on a stock bottom end with a good tune.

Basically stock bottom end.
Stock crank, eagle sir rods, KB forged aluminum pistons though. Due to blown head gasket I did put cometic mls gaskets on it (overkill I know).
AFR 165's with 58cc chambers, ARP bolts no studs.
I'll probably leave it alone until I figure a way to put maybe 2 nozzles in cover plate underneath upper, or wait until
Induction Solutions makes somthing for the RPM 2 like they have for the performer, that's a sweet piece!

With your present delivery kit(wet - before throttle body) I'd try to limit the kit to 150 or so. The biggest problem with that type of wet kit is that sometimes the fuel will puddle in the intake and make a backfire. This can be very destructive. Especially to the intake,throttle body,etc. I think your tune is fine for the Pistons/motor. Right around 175-200 is the he accepted limit for any durability. Heck you can spray 200+ but expect long term reliability to be an issue. What times are you running right now? (1/4 mph-et).

No numbers yet and 1/8mi tracks are much closer so we always ran 1/8. I had a SCT chip burned for last engine combo but have yet to get this engine dyno tuned.

I plan to do that over winter and decide on nitrous, I thought I'd heard about what you're saying with a shot larger than 150 or so more likely to backfire due to puddling so I may get it "dyno tuned" for motor and spray as I
can put up to 4 tunes on chip.

I should just tune it to these jets and leave it alone.

Do you plan on driving on the street more than spraying? If you can do a flip chip tune then do that. I wouldn't just tune it around the nitrous tune unless that's basically the only way you run the car. Nitrous Express has a very nice plate system for your intake. You can check that out. Little pricey at around 1400$ with all the nice "extras". With that system I wouldn't be scared of spraying 200hp(except for the typical shortblock durability issues). You should see around 500-550rwhp-rwtq and possibly see some 6.xx 1/8 mile timeslips(10's in 1/4)

Yeah. My throttle body looked like a taco and it blew the diodes completely off of the spark plugs. I did swap it all at the track and drive it home though!

Yikes!! That type of backfire is what I'm afraid of!

Why do they say to put a fogger nozzle as far from throttle body without getting into turn? is it the way a plate distributes?
I could mount just past throttle body in intake but was told not to??
Mike? 5liter? Jric?

Last edited:
Do you plan on driving on the street more than spraying? If you can do a flip chip tune then do that. I wouldn't just tune it around the nitrous tune unless that's basically the only way you run the car. Nitrous Express has a very nice plate system for your intake. You can check that out. Little pricey at around 1400$ with all the nice "extras". With that system I wouldn't be scared of spraying 200hp(except for the typical shortblock durability issues). You should see around 500-550rwhp-rwtq and possibly see some 6.xx 1/8 mile timeslips(10's in 1/4)

Definitely mostly street, but do plan to do the 2 tune on the chip to get most out of whatever setup I decide on, plus have an all motor tune. I'd be very happy with high 6's!!

ive hit mine with a 250 shot... other than the fact i couldnt support a 300 i felt i could do it and not blow anything up if i had enough fuel system to support it.

Yikes!! That type of backfire is what I'm afraid of!

Why do they say to put a fogger nozzle as far from throttle body without getting into turn? is it the way a plate distributes?
I could mount just past throttle body in intake but was told not to??
Mike? 5liter? Jric?

Fuel puddle was not my issue. I sprayed doing a burnout and hit the limiter. I would recommend not using a nozzle and using either a throttle body spray bar spacer or a intake spacer. Pair that with a window switch and you'd be pretty damn safe

^^ this! Buy a plate system if you can.
Spraying the nozzle wet system before the throttle body is just asking for trouble as you increase the raw fuel trying to traverse the upper and lower intakes. Just to much of a chance of puddling and incorrect atomization. You can end up with a backfire or lean cylinder

I sprayed a 175 through the nitrous works throttle body spacer plate w no issues except for the time i left it armed in the burnout box :doh:
This is also why I don't recommend anyone using their system on the street and being cognizant of where their rev limiter is set at(or like previously stated-window switch).

also... switch to an MSD ignition.

factory rev limiter is a fuel cut... MSD cuts the spark. id rather it blow it out the exhaust then light it off lean. that being said going lean wont hurt anything. BUT you cant run any kind of good timing and go lean.

TIMING KILLS PISTONS!!!

Reactions: 1 user
^^ this! Buy a plate system if you can.
Spraying the nozzle wet system before the throttle body is just asking for trouble as you increase the raw fuel trying to traverse the upper and lower intakes. Just to much of a chance of puddling and incorrect atomization. You can end up with a backfire or lean cylinder

Ok, I get all this and I have a window switch. I have a Crane Hi-6 (cheaper one) but it quit working??
I'm also probably only person that bought a 190lph pump instead of 255lph so I'm not sure how much I can support but I figured at least amount I had planned at the time (150-175). That said, a plate at TB is about the same as a fogger where I got it yes? And I'd like to get a plate between lower and upper but don't want to change hood (mostly due to cost).
I plan to stay where it's at and keep it running for now at least, I'll blow it up for sure if not !!