How Much Power Can I Expect

Boss 7.0

Active User
Mar 19, 2015
Chickasha, OK
Good Morning all,

Upgrades I am considering; Full Kooks exhaust 1 3/4 inch primaries, H-pipe, black tips, JLT cai, GT350 intake, SCT Tuner and possibly some cams. What cams would go well with the above combo? What power (Hp and Tq) could I expect on 91 Octane street tune and 100 octane race tune? Would like to see 500 to 530 Hp (at the crankshaft) on 91 octane. My car is a daily driver so please keep that in mind. I will take it to the track for the occasional test-n-tune night.

Thanks for helping out.

:track:

Boss 7.0

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I think your horsepower estimates are generous....even if those are flywheel numbers. I'd bet on closer to 485hp-500hp with those mods.

Keep in mind, the car in the video had intake/exhaust mods, as well as a race tune to go along with that intake....not just intake alone.

30 HP at 7000+ rpm for $1500 plus installation plus tune plus canned-tune headaches.

I'm actually more interested in the 100+ ft/lbs of additional torque it made at 2600 - 3100 rpm. On the street, it equals a lot more than anything going on at the rev limit. What's more it means there is room for significant improvement on the bottom end.

I'm still waiting for someone to come along with a LC KB install. That should be a beast.

Save your duckets for a blower. A lot more bang for the buck.

Historically, swapping OEM parts for OEM parts are done by folks who wish they'd waited a little longer to allow time for vendors to complete some testing and tuning.

The cam idea is intriguing. Have you looked at the cost per HP for cams and supporting mods?

Maybe I should clarity my needs. I want to stay NA. I do know that going forced induction or using laughing gas will get me more power and get me more bang for the buck . Cars I have driven when I was a lot younger; 1963 fuel injected Corvette, 1970 Boss 429, and 1971 Camaro Z/28. I have been a Test Engineer for a while and been around the block a few times. I certainly do not know it all, far from it. I love to learn, especially about cars. This is one of the reasons I came here, to learn.
One question I asked that still has not been answered, What camshaft should I consider given the mods I want to make?
Thank you for your time.

Boss 7.0

Last edited:
It looks like the GT350 intake on the S550 does the same thing the Boss intake did to the S197. It doesn't choke out at high rpm like the stock intake. However, you will only see that for a brief moment at a track. It won't do anything for you while daily driving (unless you wind it out everywhere you go).

In regards to cams, I don't see why you would need new cams unless you went forced induction and wanted specific blower cams. These cars have variable valve timing so a good tune should be able to use that to take advantage of the mods you are looking at. I don't see many aftermarket cams for the newer cars because of this feature. But that's just my opinion.

I'm actually more interested in the 100+ ft/lbs of additional torque it made at 2600 - 3100 rpm.

That looks a little suspicious to me. It almost looks like they just went WOT at different rpm for the back to back runs, especially since the curves are almost on top of each other the rest of the way. Maybe I'm just skeptical...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like the GT350 intake on the S550 does the same thing the Boss intake did to the S197. It doesn't choke out at high rpm like the stock intake. However, you will only see that for a brief moment at a track. It won't do anything for you while daily driving (unless you wind it out everywhere you go).

In regards to cams, I don't see why you would need new cams unless you went forced induction and wanted specific blower cams. These cars have variable valve timing so a good tune should be able to use that to take advantage of the mods you are looking at. I don't see many aftermarket cams for the newer cars because of this feature. But that's just my opinion.

That looks a little suspicious to me. It almost looks like they just went WOT at different rpm for the back to back runs, especially since the curves are almost on top of each other the rest of the way. Maybe I'm just skeptical...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dyno skepticism is almost always a good thing when talking in terms of real usable power. :)

Hi all, I do appreciate the responses, :D. As long as I can drive my car to work and cruise around, I don't mind losing a bit of power down low. However, I did ask how much power I could reasonably expect from the above combo, not with anything removed or added. I do enjoy the occasional highway and back (twisty) road blast. I also like to take my car to test-n-tune night occasionally. These would need more High RPM power. This is how I want my car to be, not what somebody else thinks I should have. I would also like to be able to wind my car out a bit more before shifting, around 7500 rpm. I can be a smart aleck too, had lots pf practice in the Navy and in civilian life.
I will have my answers, be it here or someplace else. Enjoy your cars and drive safe.

Boss 7.0

Last edited:
Ok, so I haven't seen any cams for the coyote, then again I haven't searched all that much. So i'm not much help, but i'd suggest going with a ghost cam. No pain installing, not harmful to the car, easy removal, and cheaper, Lund racing makes a tune for it

I think you're under impression that this is facebook. Damned near everything here is a discussion. If not, then it's a "how-to" followed by discussion.

There's no magic equation answer to your question. Just as soon as someone says, "I just made 100 HP on X", then someone else will come up with X+1 using the same components alongside of some other tweak or magic graph chart.

In addition, the differences between dynos are very real my friend. 30 HP on a dynamometer can be the difference in how the car is tied down.

Have you checked out the time slip thread? You might what to look at the mods those guys have made and see what they're running. You can do a hell of a lot better at the track with a driver mod than you can 30 HP.

I will have my answers, be it here or someplace else. Enjoy your cars and drive safe.

Whatever man :shrug:

Fwiw: I have read in various places that even after installing stage 2 or 3 cams in the TIVCT coyote motor, the sound of the exhaust doesn't lope without the addition of a ghost cam type tune. Sir, you have to remember that this engine retards and advances both the intake and exhaust cams based on rpm, throttle input, and a bunch of other specifications. In reality, the specs on the stock cams (if installed on a not variable timed engine) would lope like a 70's race car... Hence the ghost cam tune... It sets the intake and exhaust advance/retard to simulate a non vct engine. They sound nasty... YouTube ghost tune coyote. Once throttle input is applied they go back to normal response.

The only reason to put cams in these motors is to account for forced induction or higher rpm.

I suggest you do more research on what a TI-VCT engine does and how it works. I'm not trying to be a smart ass... So please don't take it as such. My dad was a muscle car guy back in the day and trying to explain the theory of operation to him was almost a moot point, I was getting irritated with him because he couldn't understand how the cam phasers worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf,

Thank you for your response. I did not take it as you being a smartass. I will do more research on the TIVCT coyiote motor, sounds interesting. After reading all the responses and giving it careful thought, I will stick with the full exhaust, CAI, and the tuner. As long as I get enough increase in power so my 'butt' dyno feels it, I'm good.
While I do appreciate all of the responses, I think some of them could have been handled better i.e. not so condescending and disrespectful.

Boss 7.0

Last edited:
Good Morning all,

Upgrades I am considering; Full Kooks exhaust 1 3/4 inch primaries, H-pipe, black tips, JLT cai, GT350 intake, SCT Tuner and possibly some cams. What cams would go well with the above combo? What power (Hp and Tq) could I expect on 91 Octane street tune and 100 octane race tune? Would like to see 500 to 530 Hp (at the crankshaft) on 91 octane. My car is a daily driver so please keep that in mind. I will take it to the track for the occasional test-n-tune night.

Thanks for helping out.

Boss 7.0
I looked into doing the GT350 upper intake and TB and also talked to a local SCT tuner / installer about the hp increase. He responded that it's not worth the money for the small hp return. That's based on his experience of installing and tuning new 2015 - 2016 mustang GT's .