how much should i pay for 3in chrome tips??

• Sponsors (?)

my cousin has a Lancer Evolution VIII, all stock except the exhaust. its larger than 3 inches, which is crazy, and sounds kinda ricey, lol, i didnt get to test drive it, but supposedly its pretty fast, but still feels like an import, light and has little class (SHHHH) its red so it goes fast :D
my exhaust is 2.25 throughout, yay, paired with the sound of the CAI its awesome :D

3" tips make it look good like 2.5's make it look like some little thing that doesn't need 3" tips cus it's got such a little motor in it... besides the 3's sound better IMO (ie sound deeper) because they resonate sound batter

ChrisYellowV6 said:
once you go over 3 it gets kinda absurd.

Once you go over the ID of the exhaust system pipe its just plain ricey to me :rolleyes: If you have a 3" exhaust system then a 3" tips is cool. But if you have a 2.25" exhaust system with a 3" exhaust tip...that is plain rice. I don't care if its a I4 or a GT. Heck why do F body guys make so much fun of a ricer with a 4" fart can when they got dual 4" tips and a 2.5" exhaust system :shrug: I wonder what the dyno numbers would show with and without a larger than ID exhaust pip tips:scratch: I mean your just screwing up the back pressure on your car and something has to give? Not to metion the gas mileage has to suck because now you got more back pressure scavaging the chambers in the head(s) than you need.

97v6Silver said:
i don't think a 2 foot 3" tip makes that much a a difference on back presure....

Its just something I've heard through the years of dealing with cars. I wouldn't mind seeing some dyno runs on a stock motor with just exhaust tip swaping. Then a gas mileage check between the tips on a stock motor. Then I would like to see how many pro street racers using a 2" bigger exhaust tip than there whole exhaust system is. I'm talking your typical American type cars and not ricers. Even if there is a ton of people doing this and there cars still do great...Its still ricey to me :rolleyes: I mean your are basicaly installing these tips for the same reason a ricer installs a fart can. You both want looks and sound...granted yours will sound better since you got a few more pistons.