How to drop my 68 Stang

MustangMando

Jul 16, 2011
I have a 68 Mustang v8(302) with a I6 suspension and i would like to lower it about 2 inches in the front. I would like to cut the springs with a grinder to avoid over heating the springs. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help..

• Sponsors (?)

Id like to just bolster what ZO6 put up....do the Shelby drop...it gives you so many more hadling benefits other than just "lowering" the car, and its free. Once you do that and if you still want to go lower, then you can cut your coils, but also as he mentioned as well, some 620 springs will give you an inch...the shelby drop also gives you an inch, so there are your 2 inches with added benefit of proper handling.

Yes, cutting the coils will give you a stiffer ride, but your limited with the I6 springs. Tons of guys upgrade springs, look around and I'm sure you can find some V8 ones for dirt cheap.

620 are super cheap, I cut a half coil off mine and run poly isolators. Rides great. I had cut (1 coil I believe) worn out v8 springs and it road ok at best. Really soft compared and rolled around rubbing the tires. According to everything I've read, 1 coil= 2".

Shelby drop, 1" drop 620's with 1/2 coil cut.

DSC_0004.jpg

Id like to just bolster what ZO6 put up....do the Shelby drop...it gives you so many more hadling benefits other than just "lowering" the car, and its free. Once you do that and if you still want to go lower, then you can cut your coils, but also as he mentioned as well, some 620 springs will give you an inch...the shelby drop also gives you an inch, so there are your 2 inches with added benefit of proper handling.

I agree, the 'drop' is an excellent idea. it'll give you about 5/8 lower, but that's not what makes it a good idea. Do this first, and evaluate what you want to do from there. Here's how, and why:

289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

Just did a shelby drop and put in some 620's. The driver's side is 1 inch higher than the passenger. Shelby drop is done correct. The passenger's side is the correct height. Is their something im missing? Shocks aren't in yet.

One side on my 68 was significantly lower than the other after lowering the front suspension. I was pretty worried thinking that one of the springs had lost spring or something, but it turns out it was just the alinement. After I got it properly alined it was perfectly level.

Get it alined first and see if that helps.
good luck