How to prime new oil pump?

I just installed a new high volume Melling oil pump and am now trying to prime it. I prefilled the oil pump outlet with some oil before bolting it up. I'm running a drill with a priming tool through the distributor hole and as far as I can tell, it's turning the pump (ccw). But, a mechanical oil pressure gauge isn't showing any reading after a few minutes worth of spinning in 15-20 second runs. I have good oil level, no other changes to the previously running engine.

How long should I expect to keep this going? It's gotta be picking something up. What else can I try?

Bonus points: I'm new to SBF's, so if you can recommend a good book that can help me with engine procedures like this I'm open to suggestions. e.g. rebuilds, common service points, etc. Just don't say Haynes or Chilton.

• Sponsors (?)

If the priming tool is the correct size for the pump drive shaft, you should feel it torque over the drill pretty good. Are the valve covers off? If so, do you see oil flowing to the heads.

A great book for rebuilding and learning the SBF. I used it a bunch rebuilding my engine.

Amazon.com: HP Books HP89 : Hot To Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines: Automotive

Another good book on the whole fox chassis

Amazon.com: The Official Ford Mustang 5.0: Technical Reference & Performance Handbook : 1979 Through 1993 (9780837602103): Al Kirschenbaum: Books

Posted via Mobile Device

What about the oil galley plugs? Are they screw in or the knock in type.

I've seen them push out with the HV pump, and you won't get anymore than a few PSI of pressure. The HV pump is also taller too, the Pick up tube to pan clearance was checked again I hope. But the Pick up to pan clearance shouldn't be your problem while just priming the system. Unless its way way off.

I just went through the oil galley plug problem on a friends new engine. Plug just fell out while priming. For your sake I hope that not it.

I'm using an electric drill and it is working pretty hard to get going. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge sitting in the engine bay and the needle hasn't registered at all during the priming.

The engine is well broken in, so I don't suspect any plugs had popped out. Before install, I compared the old/new pumps and they're virtually identical in shape/size except for the "HV" lettering on the side, both Melling pumps. Pickup height shouldn't be an issue.

lancec2c30, thanks for the book recommendations. I'll check them out.

I'm using an electric drill and it is working pretty hard to get going. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge sitting in the engine bay and the needle hasn't registered at all during the priming.

The engine is well broken in, so I don't suspect any plugs had popped out. Before install, I compared the old/new pumps and they're virtually identical in shape/size except for the "HV" lettering on the side, both Melling pumps. Pickup height shouldn't be an issue.

lancec2c30, thanks for the book recommendations. I'll check them out.

if this is the case with the drill having to work. Then i would bet you fine! When i did mine it only took a few seconds like 90lxcoupe said. Or do like everyone suggests and remove a valve cover.peace

john:p

I found out what the problem was. You'll never believe it's possible to mount the pump and have the driveshaft completely miss the distributor hole. :rolleyes: As a result, I was never turning the pump. The resistance I felt was the priming tool rubbing around whatever was in its path.

After redoing the pump install, it was clear what had happened. After priming again, I got an easy 60psi within a second. And boy, my electric drill was hating life. After the initial drive, the stock pressure gauge read between the O and R of Normal and was rock solid at all times.

So far, no issues like drained oil pan or high oil pressure. Pressure level is about the same as before.

Good to hear you figured it out. When I was priming mine, I used the "suggested" suggested socket size with my drill. It was to big and just spinning over top of the driveshaft. Once I got the right size socket, I know what you mean about the drill. Haha