How To Read Mileage On A Fox

Interesting. I'm wondering if my stang has 60,000 or 160,000 miles. My pedals show no wear. Just some normal stains from dirty shoes.
12957704_126155687785396_5019569365758140077_o.jpg

The stock torque boxes look great and it still had the stock 2.73 gears along with the aod, so the engine hardly ever saw rpms higher than 2000. This car confuses me. There are signs of high mileage and signs of low mileage. When I took off the valve-covers, there was a lot of hard dried oil glaze (dark brown grime) covering the underside of the valvecovers and inside the oil breather/filler neck and a little grime on the valvesprings. No sludge or carbon though. The inside of the throttlebody and intake manifold was soaked in oil also, due to a clogged PCV filter. The driver side seat also had a busted bolt which caused the seat to lean back all the way down to the back seat. Odometer shows 60,422 miles now, so I put 422 miles in it since I bought it back in july of 2015. lol

sure fire way to find out. send an oil sample out for analysis

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The oil glaze and other oil globing, clogging and general stickyness in my opinion is from running the engine for short periods and low rpm schlepping around town, not bring the oil up to temperature and dissipating the moisture from the inside of the motor. I suspect the gear oil in the rear is suspect too. Another reason could be the previous owner used a 'jiffy lube' type establishment to service the vehicle and they used inferior oil products. Cheep oil is just that, cheep, may actually be low milage just poor choice of maintenance products.
Or could be that the pcv system malfunctioned at some point and they didn't notice.

The car had cheap standard oil and a no name oil filter. Probably cheap Jiffy Lube crap. I actually did an oil change on the car myself using Mobil 1 high mileage oil and a motorcraft oil filter, after cleaning up the inside of the intake manifold (changed intake manifold gaskets) and the inside of the valve covers (changed valve cover gaskets also). That's when my dad decided to grab the stock 5.0 HO lower intake that I had laying around (from my 93') and port it himself. I think we killed 10 birds with one stone. lol The gear oil didn't look too good either. Looks like it has never been serviced since it came from the factory. lol Even with the stock 2.73's and an AOD, my car could actually break the tires loose. There's a saying that a stock aod mustang with 2.73's would just bog off the line and not even spin the tires. I think that is a sign of an engine that is still technically fresh. Now with the 3.73's, I can spin the rear tires with just sudden half throttle acceleration. I have peeled-off by accident a few times from stop signs (oops). lol

I forgot to mention that when I was looking for another foxbody mustang, I test drove a vert with around 112,000 miles and it rattled a lot more than the vert I have now. I actually installed subframe connectors on my 91' vert, which it did not have when I bought it. The car felt very smooth and quiet even before the subframe connectors were installed.

Just do a carfax. No guarantee but there might be records of certain things that show up.

For instance, I am the second owner of my car, but carfax shows a record for each time I put a plate on the car, and annual inspection, and the mileage at each.

So you can see pretty easily that I have 106K on mine, and not 206K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 90 has 55k on it and the records support it. Also, the numbers won't line up perfectly on one that's rolled over although that can be fudged. Problem with mine was the PO had some Jiffy Lube style place do his oil changes so when I did the first one as soon as I got it I drained 8 quarts out. Good thing I pulled the front plug first or my garage floor would have suffered greatly.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd love to know why the red "55" looks like a sticker. I've wondered this all the way back to when my Dad picked up his new 87 GT. Some sort of govt regulation that it needed to be red?? Hmmmm....

National speed limit was 55MPH up until 1995 or so. A law written in 1980 dictated that the number "55" be emphasized somehow, and the max speed a speedo could show was 85MPH. That'w why the SVO got speedometers that go to 140 but only numbered to 85MPH.

84-86%2BSVO%2BSpeedometer.JPG

The law on 85MPH speedos was actually repealed sometime in the 80's. The Mustang finally went 140MPH in mid 1989, but kept the red line at 55MPH up until 1995 when the national speed limit law was repealed. It was finally removed in the 1996 cluster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
usually when they roll over, that first digit is a little offset. That one looks straight. Could be 60k.

Have you done any carfax reports to see if anything was reported between 60-160k miles? Usually any registration or inspection generates a record