Fuel How To Replace Fuel Filler Tube Gasket *pics*

94GTCoupe

10 Year Member
May 7, 2006
CA
for the past few weeks,i've noticed a strong fuel odor while driving.i checked all lines and injectors,which were fine.the problem was that the fuel filler tube gasket failed.this allowed fuel to leak past it and on to the outside of the tank,very close to the tailpipes:eek: ,not good.
HPIM2474-1-1.jpg

i heard that i would have to drop the tank too replace the gasket,which is a pain in the a$$.

i found i did not have to :banana: here are the steps to replace it.

*****BEFORE ATTEMPTING REPAIR,PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO PROPER RESEARCH BEFORE HAND.
THIS WRITE UP IS ONLY MEANT TO BE A ROUGH GUIDE,IT MAY NOT WORK WITH ALL YEAR/MODEL MUSTANGS.
OTHER USERS HAVE REPORTED THE NEED TO DROP THE TANK,OR AT LEAST LOOSEN THE TANK STRAPS TO PROVIDE THE CLEARENCE TO REMOVE THE FUEL FILLER TUBE.
PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE WHILE ATTEMPTING ALL REPAIRS.
IF IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE USING TOO MUCH FORCE,OR FEEL SOMETHING MAY BREAK,FOR THE LOVE OF GOD,LOOSEN THE TANK STRAPS,WHILE SUPPORTING THE TANK WITH YOUR JACK.*****

-------------------------tool's needed----------------------
1-fuel filler neck gasket from Ford dealer $39.part #F4ZZ-9072-DA(much cheaper online,but i didnt want to pay shipping or wait for it to be delivered)
***NOTE; Owners of 98 Model Year Mustangs have reported the need for 99+ Fuel Filler Grommet, NOT the Grommet shown in this write up.***

1- 3/8 ratchet.
1-8 mm,3/8 drive socket.
1-long 3/8 drive extension.
1-T15 Torx bit.
1-motor oil(just a little)
2-clean rags
1-floor jack
2-jack stands

#1.disconnect battery(just to be safe).
#2.raise car,set on jack stands.
#3.clean filler tube and area around filler tube gasket.
#4.remove right-rear wheel.
#5.follow pic's in order.
HPIM2474.jpg

HPIM2510-1.jpg

HPIM2508-1.jpg

HPIM2507-1.jpg

HPIM2509-1.jpg

-------------inside trunk.remove passanger side trunk liner.(i dont have mine in,so i skipped this step)

HPIM2504-1.jpg

HPIM2503-1.jpg

HPIM2498-1-1.jpg

HPIM2513-1.jpg

HPIM2500-1.jpg

HPIM2501-1-1.jpg

HPIM2502-1-1-1.jpg

HPIM2512-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

thank's guy's.i figure i might as well take pictures while i'm doing the work.actually seeing how the work is done is a big help to me,as i'm sure it is to others.:)

Excellent post. I've been needing to do mine for quite some time now. I can't fill up my tank all the way, it will leak and @ 4.05 a gallon I dont want anything leaking :D

Thanks very much davis3! Great post!
I too had been told the tank had to be dropped/removed.

For some reason on my 1997, I could not wriggle the pipe out of the tank. However, just adding an easy step....
***to support the tank with a jack on the driver's side, remove the driver's side tank securing strap, loosen the passenger side strap***
....I was able to lower the driver's side of the tank a few inches leaving all connections intact and voila!

My gasket was rotten to the point where the "inside" half fell into the tank....but with help from a very small handed assistant, it was easily fished out.

Nice write up. After having done this, I would still recommend dropping the tank. I ended up breaking the plastic end piece off of my filler neck because I didn't have the proper clearance to wiggle the neck out of the tank.

My own fault, surely, but I recommend dropping the tank. Wait until its empty and do it with a jack, no problem.

Also when you put the new gasket into the opening in the tank tie a loose loop of string around it with the other end tied off or long enough to keep a hold of it so that if you are as lucky as I was the first time I did this, and manage to push the new gasket into the tank, you can just pull it back out!

:lol:

I did this same thing for a '98, thanks so much for the write up.

There was absolutely no way to get that filler tube out with the tank in place for the '98. Zero chance; I tried every possible angle and then some. I also couldn't even get it out by loosening the right had side of the tank and dropping the left (as posted above for a '97). In the end, I put a furniture dolly from a recent move under the tank and used two jacks on either side to lower each side of the tank onto the dolly (left first, then right), and then it was an easy matter to just move it over a few inches so the filler tube could be removed.
If you're going to do this with a '98 PLEASE don't think I'm wrong. Be prepared to lower the tank.

I did NOT have to disconnect the fuel line and everything connecting to the center of the tank, those were fine just lowering the tank to the dolly and moving it a few inches left. The car remained on the ground with no wheels removed and was never raised.

Of course, the inner part of the gasket fell inside the tank. That was quite a pain. Do whatever you can to get something attached to the inner part of that gasket before pulling the filler line out, even if it's a fishing hook and line or something...anything...I wish I had had something ready but it just popped right out without warning before I could even get the pliers close enough to grab it.

I'm a complete novice, though I studied ME, and this write-up with photos was enormously helpful. I do have a few comments to add for other novices; things I wish I had known or to look out for:
1) If you have to lower the tank (for the '98 you must), those bolts can be TOUGH. I broke one socket wrench, and almost stripped the bolt. This was after dousing it with lubricant and letting it soak a few times; even the upper part of the bolt that was out-of-sight was doused through nearby slots. I thought I was going to have give up before just bracing my legs one more time and giving it everything I had. Wear thick gloves.
2) There's a plastic retaining clip on one of the hoses you detach from from '98 filler tube assembly. First, you need to know it's there so you can look for it and take it off. Second, remember what it was and where it went. (It was labeled "HP 13" on its side, for what that's worth.) The other hose just required loosening the little bolt in the strap. Then just pull them straight off.
3) The trunk lining was actually a bigger pain than anticipated. Most of those plastic things can just be pulled straight out, though it takes a bit of force. For the '98 at least, the largest two of them on the liner just inside the the front of the trunk (the piece the latch comes through) actually screw off, but you can tell since there's a flat slot for your screwdriver. You might destroy some of these... but you can probablly still reuse them whatever shape they're in or hopefully they aren't too expensive if you really think you need them. I had to remove both the back and front panels of the trunk liner to get the side piece out.
4) The gasket itself take a bit of force to get in place. Use some vaseline or something so you don't damage it. It's not that hard, but make sure you get the rim aligned and set on one side and then just bend the rest of it and force it into place. (Make sure the rim is properly seated on one side or I'll bet it's easy to push the whole thing into the tank.)
5) It was a snap getting everything back together and would be a snap if I wanted to do the whole thing again. The major hold-up for me was believing I should be able to remove the filler tube with the tank in place when there's just no possible way. I also feared lowering the tank could be a problem since I didn't want to mess with the fuel line and all of those connections, but it was NO PROBLEM AT ALL with the dolly under it (about 4" high). Once I got the filler tube out I realized how truly impossible it would be to remove it with the tank still mounted. Ford must have changed the shape or length for the '98.
6) Extremely minor, but when detaching the filler tube assembly in the '98 you'll find that instead of 4 bolts to remove from the underside of the vehicle, there will instead be 3 7mm bolts you can remove from above once you have the trunk liner out.

Can't think of anything else. Thanks so much!

Great info man! I just did this job on my 95 mustang today and had no problems. I followed what you have here exactly and everything went smooth. Only small problem I had was getting the filler neck out since there isn't much room to work with but I had a buddy help me and we got it out. Thanks