Hybrid Technology in my classic

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
I was reading a story about Toyota's hybrid car and I had a thought. If it works for them why wouldn’t it work on my stang? I think that it would be cool to add an electric motor to the stang so I could like triple my gas mileage. Problem is the research and development of something like that would be immense.

I wish I could start up a company that did stuff like that. You know one that rebuilt old cars and incorporated new technology into them. For example wouldn't it be cool if our old mustangs could have antilock brakes, airbags and traction control. Really I am already adding alot of new technology to my mustang. I have already added a 5 speed to it and plan to add rear disk brakes.

My next big project is going to be adding rack and pinion steering. It will be a challenge because I'll have to do it from scratch. Kinda scary thinking about all there is involved and what could go wrong. I know that there are kits out there but they are way out of my price range. Plus there is something cool about doing it yourself and I will really learn alot about cars and steering.

• Sponsors (?)

I am familiar with their future truck/car program. They are focusing mostly on fuel cell technology. What they have done is impressive but I am starting to think that fuel cell technology might take a lot longer to implement on a large scale than the powers that be might think. The real problem with using electric motors as the power train in automobiles is batterys. A revolution in battery technology is needed but many developers feel that fuel cells will get them around the battery problem.

Hybrid technology has been around for a while it is proven and if you ask me should be on every new vehicle sold in the U.S.

I think that the hybrid is a really neat tech. I think we'll be seeing hybrids go more main stream when "they" decide to make them normal looking instead of dorky like the honda Insight. Ford going to build the 2005 Escape Hybrid here in KC, and it looks like a normal escape and supposely only $3k over the same non-hybrid escape.

its not likely that someone could come up with a retrofit hybrid system for a classic stang, as theres a lot more going on in that system than just an electric motor piggybacking a gas one. regenerative braking systems, huge battery packs that charge upon decelleration, and one hella complex computer system to make it all work right....etc.

Also, it wouldnt triple your gas mileage, but probably only about 30-40% better. it only increases gas mileage by about 40% on the hybrid civic over the standard one. the hybrid civic only produces about 95 horsepower, not exactly a thrilling ride, trust me, i've driven one.

Hybrid tech is awesome for fuel economy and oil conservation, but it makes for some pretty pathetic performing cars.

I swear I saw something on someone building an older car into a hybrid a few weeks ago either in print or TV. I can't remember where though. I think it was a 65-66 Stang, but maybe not because I always have them on my brain. If I can remember where I saw it I bring a link or whatever.

In the early 70s my Uncle made a cold fusion, magnetic motor that made 535 hp, wieghed less than 500 lbs, and ran 100k+ miles on on fuel cell. It also was made to replace V8s. If interested, do a search on Rory Johnson Magnetic motor, or magnatron motor.

Really? Wow, a magnatron motor, interesting.

People have the misconception that you can't do a hybrid gas electric car with more than 150 hp. I think Toyota is planning to prove that It can be done. My only worry with turning my old stang into a hybrid is all the weight it would add. I guess you could offset the weight of the added electornics by using an engine with an aluminum block or maybe a V6 instead of a V8.